16

Brooklyn turned over on her side, being careful of her already swelling tummy.

 "Sam? Aren't you going to work? It's 7:30." Brooklyn leaned back on the pillows and looked at the clock.

 "I'm not going to work." Sam mumbled into his pillow. "Can you text it in for me?"

 "Are you sick?" Brooklyn looked over at Sam, concerned.

 "No. No, I just can't go in today..." Sam said sleepily.

 "Sammy, what's wrong?" Brooklyn rubbed his shoulders.

 "I'll tell you later." Sam turned over and closed his eyes.

 "Ok, whatever you say. Your going to call for yourself if you want a day off. I'm going to take Bryson to school." Jen said skeptically. "See you later." Brooklyn walked down the stairs to find Gabe already eating breakfast.

 "How's our little eager beaver?" Brooklyn said, teasing her brother.

 "You know you can't say that anymore. I'm graduating in a month." Bryson smirked at her and continued eating his cereal. "I only have chemistry and physics left. I only have to go to the morning now."

 "Bry-bry! I'm so proud of you!" Brooklyn poured herself some coffee. "Wait, what have you been doing in the afternoons then?"

 "I got a job. At the record store that sells vintage cd's and tapes and music stuff." Bryson looked sheepishly at Brooklyn.

 "And you didn't tell us!? That's great!" Brooklyn hugged her brother and grabbed the keys. "Do you need someone to pick you up after?" Bryson shook his head. 

"Nah, my boss is super chill so he gives me a ride home everyday." Brooklyn smiled and shut the front door.

 "Your amazing Bryson. Really." Brooklyn laughed and punched his shoulder. "I was only asking because Sam decided to take a sick day. Something's up at his work so I thought on his 'day off' he could you a ride home, maybe you guys could talk."

 "Sure, I can tell Jack not to give me a ride home today." Brooklyn did a double take.

"Jack? As in Jackson McGoran?"

"Um, yeah. Why?" Bryson looked at her curiously.

"No reason. Actually when I was in university we were in the same classes."

"Oh. I'll tell him you said hey." Bryson shrugged.

"Sam?" Brooklyn said, entering the bedroom. "Oh, there you are." Sam was sitting on the bed cross-legged still in the shorts and t-shirt he wore to bed, with the high school year book in his lap.

 "Sammy... What's going on?" Brooklyn sat down beside him and pulled his head onto her shoulder.

 "I.. I don't know. Maybe with Gabe almost graduated, you and the baby, some stuff and work... It's a lot to handle, Brook. I guess that its just life though." Sam sighed.

 "Well, I can't fix the first two but what's going on with work?" Brooklyn rubbed Sam's back and closed the year book.

 "There's this new receptionist who's trying to flirt with me. I feel like locking my office door and hiding all day." Sam looked up at Brooklyn who was smiling deviously. "Y.. your not mad??" Sam stuttered, looking shocked.

 "I can fix that! Don't worry I have a plan..." Sam smacked his forehead with his palm.

 "You and your plans." Sam muttered.

 "Can you pick up Bryson from work today?" Brooklyn casually flipped through a magazine, realizing what she had just said.

 "What! He has a job?"