12

7 Months Later

 Brooklyn stood back with her paint brush and studied the wall.

 "Sam?" Sam stuck his head in the doorway.

 "Yeah?"

 "Does this paint color look okay?" The two newly weds were fixing up their first house, after deciding to sell both the apartments. It had a small cottage feel to it, and it was a five-minute drive into town. Sam came up behind her, linking his arms around her waist.

 "Mmhm. It looks fine." Sam mumbled into her hair. Brooklyn turned around and looked at Sam with a mischievous smile.

 "You have some paint right here..." Brooklyn reached up and smudged some paint across Sam's cheek. Sam smiled and flicked some paint in Brooklyn's ponytail and on her face. Brooklyn wrinkled her nose and wiped the paint off her face. Sam laughed and leaned over and kissed Brooklyn.

 "I have to be at work in half and hour. I won't be home til later." Sam smiled, tucking some flyaway hairs behind Brooklyn's ear.

 "Alright. I'll keep unpacking." Brooklyn picked up the paint roller and dipped in the tray. "I'd like to sleep in the bedroom tonight." Sam nodded and headed off to the shower.

 ~

Exhausted after unpacking most of the living room and the entire bedroom, Brooklyn sank into the covers of the bed. She heard the door open and Sam come up the stairs.

 "Brooklyn, are you still awake?" Sam whispered, sitting on the edge of the bed.

 "Mmm, barely." Brooklyn mumbled groggily. Sam climbed into bed next to her.

 "Never mind I'll tell you tomorrow." And with that Sam turned over and fell asleep next to his wife.