8

When Brooklyn woke up the next morning she rolled over and sank into the pillows that smelt like Sam's cologne. Brooklyn quickly sat up, seeing that someone had carried her to Sam's bedroom instead of the couch. She heard three male voices coming from the kitchen and wondered whom the third could be. She walked out of the room and saw Sam, still sporting a five o-clock shadow and not as pale as last night, Gavin and another man at the kitchen table. Sam saw her standing at the door and waved her over.

"Brooklyn this is my older brother, Luke." Sam's voice was rough but she was happy to see him on the mend since last night. Luke reached out his hand to Brooklyn, and she shook it. Brooklyn noticed a wedding ring on his left hand.

"I was in the area for business and Sam texted me that he was a little under the weather, so I was just checking up on him." Luke offered the chair at the end of the table for her.

"Under the weather is an understatement." Brooklyn muttered under her breath but put on a fake smile for Sam when he glared at her.

"How about I take you guys out for lunch, my treat. I have to be home by 4:00 to make supper. Emma hasn't been feeling that well with another one on the way." Sam looked at Luke.

"You guys just keep churning those kids out don't you?" Sam laughed and went to his bedroom to get changed. Brooklyn put on Sam's hoodie and found her shoes in the front entrance.

"We can take the truck and Gavin and Luke can ride together." Sam grabbed his keys. Brooklyn silently got into the truck and sighed. Sam started up the truck and followed Luke's car.

"Hey, what was up last night?" Sam looked over, still concerned. Brooklyn rolled her eyes.

"Nothing. I was just overtired. Was that before or after you decided to sleep on the couch?"

"Luke called before he came and I thought you would appreciate sleeping in for once." Brooklyn crossed her arms and played with her phone. Sam pulled into the Java Bean Cafe and followed Luke and Gavin. The small lunch menu suited Brooklyn just fine, as she wasn't very hungry. Everybody ordered coffee as Luke talked to Brooklyn.

"Do you have any siblings?" Luke nodded towards her.

"My younger sister and brother, Bennett and Bryson. I have an older brother, too. Brayden. My parents really like the whole 'B' thing."

Luke nodded. "I remember Brayden. I went to high school with him. Nice guy. He married yet?"

"Yeah, a few years. How about you? Any siblings?"

"Sammy's the youngest brother. We have a sister right in the middle of us boys. Henri." Luke laughed.

"Henri? As in Henrietta?" Brooklyn sipped her coffee.

"Yeah, um. There's Sam and Luke which are pretty regular names, right? I don't know where our parents got Henrietta."

They laughed and got up from their table and waved over Lance to give him the tip. Brooklyn followed Sam to his truck.

"See you next Sunday. Hope your feeling better." Brooklyn said quickly. She started to turn away but Sam caught her shoulder and turned her around.

"What makes you think I won't be in church this Sunday?" He saw her glare and replied. "You're probably right. How about after church next week we go out for lunch? Then you can really tell me what's going on."

"Fine. See you next week." Sam leaned against his truck, surprised that she gave in that easy. Smiling, he turned the in the ignition. 'I'll get this girl soon enough'