11

Brooklyn picked up her phone nervously. Moving day. It been a couple months since her job at the Java Bean showed up. Not a millionaire job but a steady income, she was ready to move into her brothers apartment that he was sharing with his wife. Her room was compiled of boxes and folded up furniture. She had already let Avery and Gavin know but she still was debating calling Sam. She had gone on a few awkward dates with him since the coffee shop incident but Brooklyn needed his truck and muscles.

She had begun to wonder if she wanted his company too. Brayden and his wife Kelsey, currently occupied the small apartment, but ready to start a family, Brayden was happy to move to a small house. Brooklyn had went to check the apartment out earlier that day and found nothing except the appliances and a red couch, coffee table and kitchen table set that Brayden had left for her. Brooklyn could load a few boxes at a time into her car but she couldn't move the big furniture. She picked up her phone and sighed.

"Hello?"

"Uh, hi Sam." Brooklyn picked up a box and held the phone between her ear and shoulder.

"Hey Brooklyn." Sam sounded frustrated. It was probably her very presence that irritated him, even on the phone.

"Can I borrow you for a couple hours? I mean, your truck, not necessarily you..." Brooklyn rolled her eyes, imagining what Sam must be thinking.

"Yeah sure, Brooklyn. What's up?" Brooklyn heard a snicker in the background.

"I'm moving into the apartment. My car isn't big enough to fit my furniture."

"Ok, I'll be right over." Brooklyn hung up and locked her phone. She gathered a few more boxes and kicked the front door shut. Just as she put the boxes in the back seat, Sam drove up. He got out of the truck wearing ripped jeans and a red plaid shirt. He gave her a quick side hug which felt more brotherly than affectionate.

"That was quick." Brooklyn rolled her eyes and picked up the headboard to the bed. Sam loaded the rest of the pieces of the bed onto the pickup.

"What's left?" Sam sat on the tailgate of the truck and looked at Brooklyn.

"Dresser, mattress, end tables and my desk." Brooklyn ticked off on her fingers. Sam smiled and replied.

"I think I can manage that." Sam replied as Brooklyn got into her car.

"Follow me to the apartment. The rest of the furniture is in the garage, when you come back and get it." Brooklyn silenced Sam from saying any more by shutting the door to her car and backing out of the driveway.

~

The two arrived outside the apartments front door to see Brayden standing there. Brooklyn waved to him and picked up a few boxes from her trunk.

"Hey! Luke's little brother! How's it going Sam?" Brayden walked over and shook Sam's hand. The rest of her family hadn't been told about their 'arrangement'.

"I've been doing pretty good. Can you give me a hand with this stuff? I don't think I can get it all up their by myself." Sam pointed over his shoulder to his truck.

"Sure. I can go back and get the rest if you want to stay and set it up." Brayden grabbed a couple boards and headed into the building. Brooklyn had already unlocked the door to find Avery hanging paintings and unpacking boxes of books.

"Hey, Avery. Where's Gavin today?" Brooklyn said as Sam came in behind her. Brooklyn picked up a few books and slipped them on the shelf.

"He had to work but he would come later today if we still needed help." Avery smiled and adjusted a few pictures. The bottom part of her bed was already put together with her mattress on it. Sam was under the bed with his legs sticking out.

"Need any help?" Brooklyn stood with her hands on her hips.

"Ouch! Yeah there's something you should see." Sam rubbed his forehead where he had smashed it against the bed frame. Brooklyn slid under the bed next to Sam.

"What's the problem?" Brooklyn said, looking at Sam. Sam blushed and leaned closer.

"I'm probably going to regret this." He whispered, and kissed Brooklyn softly on the lips.

"Samuel Fields you are going to regret this!" Brooklyn glared at him. She hesitated. "I... I should apologize. For treating you badly and avoiding you the passed couple weeks."

"It was stupid and I'm sorry." She kissed the part of his head that he had hit on the bedframe. "Do you forgive me?"

"Hey it's no biggie." His aqua eyes glittered and his lips slowly pulled into a smile.

"I have to run and grab a few small things at the house. Do you want to grab lunch after?" Brooklyn got up from under the bed.

"Sure anything you bring back is fine." Sam continued to screw parts of the bed together. They said their mutual goodbyes and Brooklyn suddenly felt a rush of excitement shoot straight through body.