O n e - T r i c k P o n y

As Gianna rolled in a large box, Amelia stared at it, intimidated. This was undoubtedly the biggest prop she had ever worked with. It was just shorter than her, pure white, edges in the front sticking out and hollowed out apart from the back wall, which gave Amelia the impression that she would be inside the box. But that wasn't the only thing that was freaking her out; Gianna had also conventionally placed a mat right in front of the box, meaning she was about to do something dangerous.

"So, as you know, I'm choreographing your solo this week," Amelia nodded, unsure why she was bringing it up again, "But I've consulted with Abby, and we both agreed that you aren't a one-trick pony, correct?" The young girl nodded again, not liking where this was going, "So, there will be minimal turning in this routine. It will focus more on the other tricks you can do, okay?" It was a rhetorical question. Gianna didn't want an actual answer. She just wanted Amelia to smile and nod. Which is precisely what she did.

|| I want Amelia challenged, and I know that's what Abby wants. She's not going to grow if we don't throw a couple of things at her || - Gianna Martello

The first ten seconds or so of the dance were fine, just her doing sharp movements inside the box, but then she had to climb onto the ledge and get on top of the box, where she was then expected to front sault off! So they spent a good forty-five minutes working on just that tiny fraction of the dance, mainly due to Amelia's utterly rational fear of jumping off the box. She knew there was a mat below her, and she knew Gianna wasn't going to get her to do something that could hurt her, but it was difficult.

|| She wants me just to throw my body off this box and magically land on my feet? Fat chance! I feel like I'm gonna die! || - Amelia Hatchet

|| I know Amelia's scared, but that's the point of this solo. I designed it to push her limits, so she has to work hard and struggle to keep up! || - Gianna Martello

"Amelia, there is a mat underneath you. Nothing bad is going to happen to you. I promise." Even though Gianna was speaking in a calm tone, Amelia could tell that she was annoyed with her. Amelia was standing on top of the box, hesitating to jump, driving Gianna mad! "Amelia, if you don't want to do this, you don't have to," That was a lie. Gianna knew it, and Amelia did too. If she didn't jump off this box, she wouldn't have a solo this week, which would crush her.

|| If I can't do this, why am I here? Isn't this why I came here? To work hard and learn? So why is it so hard? Why can't I do it? || - Amelia Hatchet

Tears started to crowd her eyes, threatening to fall. She was close to just climbing down from that damned box and walking out the room. It would be the easiest thing to do. No one would even think to stop her. Sandy would support her in it, and Max would do whatever was best for her. It would be so impossibly easy just to leave and never look back.

But she just couldn't do that. She had fought too hard just to leave when things got challenging. So, she shook her head, fought back her tears and took a deep breath, "Just a front sault, right?" She could do that. Amelia closed her eyes and took the leap.

And she landed. It wasn't graceful by any means, but she landed it. Without breaking anything. She landed!

|| I DID IT! I JUST DID IT! DID YOU SEE THAT? AHHH! || - Amelia Hatchet

After that moment, Amelia was reinvigorated, and it seemed like nothing Gianna could throw at her was impossible; she could do anything! There were tricks that Amelia never imagined she could do, but here she was chucking them without a care in the world, and she had to wonder, is this what Max felt like all the time? It had to be, and it was refreshing. She felt free, she was having fun, and it showed.