Part 1

The family meeting was just wrapping up when Dr. Sean hops up quickly from the arm of the couch and blurts, "Pookie, I almost forgot!" He jogs outside as I watch in bemusement and returns less than a minute later with a basketball-sized planter brimming with a beautiful grouping of purple snapdragons. Beaming, I skip over to Dr. Sean and greedily take the basket. My cheeks heat slightly, and I thank him with a short, giggled "Thank you, Dr. Sean". Bolting out the door while the guys laugh in puzzlement, I retrieve the small trowel that I left on the porch after digging up dandelions. Thankfully North had brought by the wooden planters he made, and filled with top soil.

I can hear the guys' laughter and chatter through the windows, and the clanking of the pots and pans as Luke started our supper. The beautiful weather allows for me to become absorbed in my task, and am soon straightening, and cleaning up my workspace.

A hand wraps around my bicep and I am whipped around to hear a seething, "Did you think you were done with me?" sputtered through the pinched lips of McCoy. An unholy stench of old beer and unwashed armpits engulfs me. Thankfully my fight or flight impulses hit simultaneously, allowing a one-two solar plexus punch and twist to escape.

I run through the yard next to Nathan's house, past the entrance to the woods, loop around to the neighbor between my old house and current residence while hearing McCoy follow at a slight distance spitting obscenities and venom. I cut a corner and dodge under the lattice work beneath my neighbor's deck, for once grateful for my diminutive size. Holding my breath and trying to hear past the pounding of my heart, I listen to hear if McCoy continued on while hitting any icon on my screen and punching the red button on my phone. Backing slowly away from the opening, I allow myself to release my breath.

"I got you now you bitch!" McCoy's hand reaches through a break in the latticework, grabbing my shirt collar from behind. I twist to see if there are any weaknesses I can exploit only to see shiny metal clenched in his fat fist. Nausea floods my system, swirling to the point of bile reaching my mouth. Leaning forward even with the strain against my neck, I release my stomach contents on the ground causing McCoy to loosen his hold slightly. Crouched and gasping slightly, I dig my fists into the sandy soil beneath me and quickly fling the stinging particles into McCoy's unsuspecting face and scramble back to the break in the lattice I used before.

"Hey!" North bellows as he finally finds his way to me. He chases McCoy to the curve of the road nearest the diner along with Silas and Gabriel. Kota, Nathan, Dr. Green, Victor, Mr. Blackbourne, and Luke surround me jabbering strained inquiries for my wellbeing. I am about to reply when my knees give out. I expect to faceplant into the crispy grass when strong, covered arms, and the scent of spring soap scoop me into a firm chest. With my eyes closed, I bury me face into the warm neck and thudding pulse of the one person I would hesitate to snuggle into if I were not overwrought.

I am carried into the cool shade of Nathan's living room absently noting the scent of marinara sauce simmering in the kitchen. With my eyes closed, I shakily comply as Dr. Sean has me extend my limbs to clean the abrasions I did not notice until antiseptic is swabbed over them.

"Sweetie, your neck," murmurs Kota as he gently traces the fabric burn caused from my yanked collar.

"I'm okay, Kota" I scratch out. Luke brings a bottle of water and a cool compress to sooth my irritated skin and throat.

I finally realize I am still cradled against Mr. Blackbourne's chest, and pat his arm to be put down. While my legs are still wonky, my determination and sudden flash of fury keep me from collapsing.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I demanded in a cracking voice as my volume exceeds my vocal chords' abilities.

I search all eyes within the room. All wear expressions of confusion. This only ratchets my anger further until I am no longer wobbly from nerves-only hurt and broken trust.

I did not notice North, Silas and Gabriel entering the room at the tail end of my question.

"What are you talking about Aggele Mou?" scooping me up again and sitting on the couch next to Luke and a shaken Victor. I hop up and start pacing back and forth in three step increments.

"Sit down!" I snap at my guys meeting their shocked gazes.

"Baby,.."

"Now!" I demand in a bitter voice.

"Miss Sorenson, please explain" murmurs Mr. Blackbourne as he gracefully perches on the arm of the chair nearest the kitchen.

"You told me he was being watched. You said not to concern myself with him. Did you know he lost his tails? You said the Academy was following him! Why didn't you tell me he shook his tails? Why..." I taper off into a defeated whisper.

Silent communication zipped around the room, finally landing on Mr. Blackbourne.

Clearing his throat, "Miss Sorenson, I apologize. We had word that McCoy snuck away early two mornings ago, and were hoping his tails would pick him up again. It was under my directive that you were not notified. If you need to blame anyone for this shortsighted decision, you may blame me."

"We didn't want to stress you out needlessly, Pookie, in case he was quickly found again."

"I would have at least asked for more than the one self defense lesson..." I grumble.

I slump back onto the couch arm near Silas in a complete adrenaline crash, where he proceeded to warmly rub the back of my head through my wild hair. I look across the room to where Gabriel is sitting in exhaustion. He really does hate running, I think to myself half deliriously. Half muzzy I notice something that makes my blood run cold sitting right on top of my Meanie's right blond lock.

"Meanie, hold still..."