Part 73

Sang POV

The room is cold, with only a bluish hint of the moon glancing off the tops of a few surfaces in my new home. Meanie's black hoops on the top of his ear are as good of a focal point for my attention as any as I lay listening to the sounds of the house settling. It's a good thing I won't be attending normal school anymore since there's no way I'd be able to learn or even function normally on what will amount to only an hour or two of broken sleep each night for a while. The new house combined with what I had learned at the meeting is making it impossible for me to sleep. Honey's arm tightens around me to pull my back against his chest, and I snuggle my head further under his chin.

I close my eyes again, and let my mind wander until birdsong and daylight intrude on my senses. We had such a busy night last night, sneaking through the woods to retrieve my items. I ensured that my attic was cleared out of personal effects. The picture collage, beanbag chair, and armoire all came out. We left nothing but the broken radio and ratty clothes Marie stuck me with in there. Even the new bed and mattress the boys got for me came along to have as a spare in the new house.

Speaking of Marie, she wasn't thrilled with us tromping through her house while she was wanting to sleep, but once the last of the stuff was brought out, she said she'd tell dad that they came a day early to pick me up--that is if he did show up and actually care enough to ask questions by some small chance. We traded phone numbers, our father having given her a preloaded phone with a few thousand minutes on it, and I wished her a happy birthday as I wouldn't be around tomorrow. She looked shocked, and her eyes welled.

"You always did make a cake on my birthday," she whispered brokenly, "even when I wouldn't let you talk to me anymore. Thank you," Marie managed before locking herself in her room. I don't tell her there is one in the fridge that I secretly made. I know it's silly, but I hope that when she sees it tomorrow she'll think of me.

The most ridiculous part of the whole night was that once everything was packed inside the chest and spare cardboard boxes, we had a conveyer line of us from the backs of Nathan's and my old houses into woods to the parking lot of Bob's diner handing each armload or object along to be placed in a truck-bed. This would have been a good time to have Luke along with his freakishly good night vision, but it was just Kota, Meanie, Nathan and myself. Once the truck was loaded up, a big scary guy with tattoos drove off with my stuff. I didn't even see him sitting in the driver's seat until it started up and pulled out.

"Kota, he's..." I started, only to be shushed and given a calm smile. A little warning beforehand would have been nice. I didn't know my stuff was being driven somewhere without me.

After several stops at various areas around Charleston swapping who I'm riding with and which vehicle we're taking at each stop, we came to what seems to be an old, smaller plantation. There were a couple of outbuildings, but the house itself looked like something out of a horror movie. Then again, it was the dead of night with nothing but trees and long grass around for miles. North and Gabriel were waiting when we got there, looking exhausted and grouchy. They quickly helped Nathan and I unload my stuff, then North left with the truck he must have gotten from tall-dark-and-tatted at some point.

The furniture I picked out what feels like forever ago was already set up and waiting in the biggest bedroom room I've seen here. I was too tired and stressed to want to do much unpacking, and Gabriel and Nathan must have been too. No one argued when I suggested getting some sleep before we start unpacking.

Which brings us back to the present. Me cuddled between two of my guys wide awake. I'd like to say I'm happy with how things worked out, but with my family still taking turns babysitting me, going to school, and Hendricks on the loose, my stomach just doesn't want to settle. I wasn't kidding when I said I didn't like them going back to that place. I have no idea where everyone is staying, although they all seem to know where each is living. I guess that's just not something I get to know. Yes, I'm pouting about this; they always seem to forget that I worry about them as much as they worry about me. Maybe I should start threatening to buy them bubbles.

Giving up on sleep, I carefully slip out from the bed. I head to the chest that holds a large amount of my clothing. I have to admit to being pretty impressed with Meanie's swearing prowess while the other guys were packing last night. Apparently they weren't taught how to fold feminine clothing during their boot camp days. Meanie told them to go pack the rest of the stuff, using far more colorful language, and took over packing my clothes. I start giggling at remembering this, and take a quick peek at Gabriel and Nathan.

My Honey has Gabriel's finger in his mouth, and it's too good of an opportunity to pass up. I snap a quick picture with my phone, then hurry back to picking out clothes for the day. After shifting around the rolled garments, I find what looks to be a jean skirt and a fitted flannel shirt to throw on over a camisole, and head to the bathroom to get changed.

After washing and dressing, I set about making a breakfast of strawberry-melon smoothies, bacon, and toast. Nathan shows up first and sets the food up on the built-in breakfast nook. Gabriel sleepily wanders out behind him, rubbing his index finger against his thumb looking confused. I turn away quickly to so that he doesn't see me smile.

"Good morning, Trouble," he mumbles through a yawn, giving me a sleepy hug and a kiss on my forehead before grabbing one of the smoothies.

"Good morning. What are we doing first? Who stocked the kitchen? Where'd the bedding come from?" I start running through all of the thoughts that danced through my mind last night while I couldn't sleep.

"Mr. B had the local grocer drop off food and stuff. There should be enough to last a few weeks, maybe only a week for the perishable shit that doesn't freeze well," Meanie says through a bite of toast, spraying crumbs across the table's surface. My stomach turns a little, but Nathan smacking Gabriel distracted me from thoughts of 'ick'.

"No hitting, Honey," I say sternly.

"But he was grossing you out!" Nathan gives a fake whine. Meanie rolls his eyes, finally awake, then looks around at our plates. He claps his hands loudly, then rubs them together.

"Alright, you two. I let you be lazy shits last night, but it's time to get to work!" Gabriel shouts like a drill sergeant.

We spend the morning rearranging furniture, prepping walls for paint, unpacking clothes and either steaming or ironing them depending on what Sergeant Meanie demands. I personally could care less about the odd wrinkle here or there, but Meanie really lived up to his name and made us utilize the brandnew wrinkle-busting appliances North somehow managed to sneak into my luggage. By the time the last item is carefully put away I am already making plans on accidentally losing the darn things.

Since it was coming up on lunchtime, we break to prepare grilled cheese with bacon and apple sandwiches when both Meanie and Honey jump, startling me. They pull out their phones and the tinny voice of Mr. Morris filters through their speakers in disjointed stereo.

"Today we will be breaking away from our usual study method. We will be discussing Italian customs throughout history. To this day, the mask is customary during Carnival times...." I hear, then feel my face tingle, the light narrows, then nothing.