Untitled Part 41

**********

Victor POV

Oh, god. I should have told them I had a concert. I shouldn't have tried to pass this off as just a family obligation. Jasmine is really taking this too far. I can still feel that harpy's false nails digging into my bicep every time I go to bend my elbow. Why my mother would try to push some brazen debutant at me before forcing me to play a last-minute concert, I'll never know. George probably had something to do with it, the slimy bastard.

The only way I make it through the evening is by telling myself I'll get to see Princess after I'm done. I have no idea if that is true, or who she's staying with tonight for that matter, but I make it believable enough in my mind to manage the social landmines that seem to pop up continually around me. Apparently I managed just the right amount of disdain-mixed attention with the harpy to satisfy my father, as he didn't rail at me too long. I did, however, have to put up with Jasmine's ever-so-proper nagging afterwards in my assigned dressing room about finding a suitable society match. I shudder just thinking about it. Most everyone has left the enormous private residence that served as my venue this evening, and I'm killing time in my car waiting for a response from Kota regarding Sang's whereabouts.

Once I receive notice that Sang is with Silas for the night, I quickly weigh my options. I know that I only told myself that I'd see Princess to get through the evening in theory, but the shaking of my hands as I hold out my phone show it may become a necessity. A slight twinge of guilt at going over this late on a Sunday has me hesitating, but I have a very good reason to brush all guilt aside. My hands—the appendages that I count on to be ever-faithful, ever-steady in my work with technology and playing piano are betraying me in a way that they haven't since I told the guys what George subjected me to after spending time in social settings.  

With that I turn on my car to head for Silas' place. It's pitch black when I let myself in. I only hope they haven't changed to furniture layout through this space, as I try to pick out the landmarks of the room. Charlie is snoring away in his worn recliner, and I silently lock up before feeling my way to the hallway. There is a faint blue light from the bathroom nightlight that allows me to walk slightly faster.

I can hear faint music beyond Silas' door, and I find myself surprised that the door isn't locked when I try to open it. I lock the door once I'm inside Si's bedroom, and have only the glow of an alarm clock to find my way to the bed. Silas' form obscures Sang's, so I know that I have to try to crawl into place from the foot of the bed. I pull off everything but my boxers and undershirt and begin my trek up the bed. I think I do a good job getting into place silently without jostling the bed too much until I note a slight shine where Sang's face is—where her eyes are.

"Victor," she breathes sleepily.

"Hi, Princess. Sorry I woke you," I apologize.

"Are you okay?" she asks sweetly.

"I will be. I will be now," I say as she turns fully to face me and laces her small arm over my ribs. I'm sure she can feel my shakiness, because she pulls me tighter, and plants a comforting kiss on my shoulder before drifting back off to sleep.