Part 29

Silas POV:

My brothers and I had no idea why Mr. B. would tell us to meet near that particular table. After all, most of the girls we have been having the worst problems with are there as well as that one Luke was flirting with this morning. Something about the whole situation screams suspicious. I'm trying to find an escape route when I see Doc, hand papers to Jay and wink at someone before hurrying off. I search out the wink recipient and am glad it's Aggele. She's looking at all of the girls surrounding my brothers and myself with a sickly look on her face. Just then, Jay starts in on the girls about their STIs so the guys and I have a chance to back away from their clawing hands without being total douches about it.

Aggele makes her way outside, and I nudge Victor and point her out before making my way after her. I keep at a distance, although I don't think she'd notice me anyway. She seems lost inside her head. From the back I can see when her shoulders stiffen. When the sound of low, male voices becomes accusatory, Sang starts to shake a little. I am walking up behind her when I see Rocky and Coach approaching Aggele aggressively. Pretending to not see them is easy when I decide that an arranged tryst is the ideal cover for us being out there.

The situation diffuses, and Aggele allows me to walk her back to school. We have class together next, so when she didn't ask me to remove my arm from her I took full advantage of it. For the first time in what feels like forever, I sit behind her and stick my legs under her desk. I'm heartened when she immediately rests her ankles against my own.

*****

Sang POV:

We received a group text when I was Japanese. Dr. Sean noticed but said nothing when I checked the little flip phone. I said nothing, just read through all of the guys' responses. This small window back into the group left me feeling a bit giddy, and much less apprehensive. Nathan told everyone how I had started supper—describing what I set up. There are plenty of happy comments about that one. North said he'd bring a salad, and Luke said he'd grab some rolls. Everyone decided to be there early enough to eat together before the meeting that was called for right after I got done with work.

****

I met up with Nathan right outside the locker room doors. Kota must have let him know that I'd be riding with them. I nod to him and offer a small smile without being completely able to meet his eyes. At the car I nod to Kota when he opens the door for me. I was a little lost in my own mind and didn't realize we were driving, let alone back at Nathan's, until the car stopped in the driveway.  

Everyone else showed up around the same time. I noticed as the dark car that we haven't been able to figure out who is driving pulls up onto the street opposite my old house, and got a chill down my spine. The house smells wonderful, but I have to take care of Precious before work, so I can't stay to eat right away. I swap out my schoolbooks for more cat-centered gear, then head toward the front door. The guys are gathered and speaking quietly together, a few curse words thrown in with halfhearted warnings from Mr. Blackbourne to mind their language. At the door I pause when a cold shudder threads through me as I freeze on the spot. I reach up to my neck and feel the specialized necklace in place with my sharpest stone, then run my hand over the belt to find the second one. The room silences behind me, and I know they were observing me close enough to catch my movements.