Untitled Part 25

Sang POV:

Flock, this hurts. I keep up the best facade of being normal that I can on my way home, but every bump of the bus, every nudge from my smelly seatmate, and I have spots floating in my eyes. My skin goes cold but I feel sweat dripping from my hairline because my insides feel like they're feverish from the pain.

After an eternity, the bus pulls up in front of Nathan's house, and I amble my way up the driveway. I manage to make my way inside with simple motivation: a cool glass of water, some ibuprofen, and an ice pack wedged in with my wrappings, not necessarily in that order. I know if I lay down, there will be no getting back up for a while, so I make my movements industrious, and get everything taken care of with as little motion as possible.

I gather my pack with extra waters, some grain bars, and throw in a couple beef sticks before heading back to the barn. I don't feel any creepy eyes on me today, but know that one of the guys is following.

Using the same scouting technique as before, I see that my offerings were all taken, and the grass under the shuttered window is pretty tamped down. I leave half of my goodies on the ledge, then head inside.

The little momma is surprisingly bigger in the abdomen than before, but much quicker in coming down off her perch in the loft. I call out to her gently to get her used to my voice. I tell her my name, and where I live—pretty much all of the other silly stuff I can think of just to keep a running commentary. She responds by following me to the bucket that holds her cans of cat food, dishes, and a few other items she isn't ready for yet.

"There you go, Precious! You're so sweet, little girl." I pet her gently, which she allows, and she starts to vibrate a purr while eating. She allows me to gently cut the tattered old collar off her, and I manage to spend another half hour with her, eating my small meal and talking before I feel like I won't be able to make it back if I don't leave now. I straighten, put up Precious' bowls, and head home. Sweat pops onto my brow again, and I have to employ pain blocking techniques.

I take a bath, and crawl onto the bed.

***A***

The guys gather at Kota's again to give Sang the space she demanded. Victor leaves when Sang gets home to tail her into the woods, and everyone seems pensive.

"That fucker Rocky was hanging all over her as soon as school started! The asshole had the nerve to give Luke and I a dirty look when I fucking caught him bruising her damn mouth by the goddamn bathroom," North shouts. Luke just nods with none of his normal cheer. He's feeling a bit betrayed, and isn't willing to see the parallels in their situations.

"Nate and I saw her hanging off of Jay before gym. She skipped class to be with the fucker," Gabriel says.

They sit in silence until their phones all buzz for a group text.

Mr. B: Check in please.

Kota: At home

North: At Kota's

Luke: Kota's

Nathan: At Kota's

Gabriel: At Kota's

Sean: Hospital

Victor: Outside the barn

Silas: I'm at Kota's.

Mr. B: Stay there. I will be there shortly. Mr. Morgan and Dr. Green, I will touch bases with you later.

 The guys get up to grab snacks and waters, then settled in the living room in silence to await their leader. Mr. Blackbourne shows up five minutes later, looking barely contained in his fury.

Owen POV:

I just broke one of my own rules, and eavesdropped on my brothers' conversation. I cannot believe what I am hearing. They obviously forgot what they promised at the beginning of the year, and are now blaming Sang for their poor timing while viewing incidences.

I drive with half focus while thinking of the consequences those girls will face come morning. My partner in crime does have his uses on occasion.

Pulling into Mr. Lee's driveway, I note that Mr. Morris is not on watch today, but rather a student. He's busy on his cell phone, so I know there's little chance of better surveillance from that quarter. I do not know, but walk straight in to look at my wayward brothers.

"Would anyone care to give me a rundown of their day of keeping an eye on Miss Sorenson?" I ask quietly. They shoot glances at each other then look at Mr. Lee.

"We have all kept behind her through the halls as directed. She's short, so sometimes it's hard to see her over everyone else, but I think for the most part we are succeeding," Mr. Lee says succinctly. I mentally snort.

"And nothing untoward has occurred?" I probe. More furtive glances around the room.

"Aggele has been called some names, by both boys and girls. The kids are a little rough, and bump into her. It's like that for everyone though, so it isn't anything personal," Silas speaks up. Everyone nods in agreement.

"And she hasn't been out of your sights in the hallways for more than a few seconds?" I push.

"Well, there were a couple of times when we lost sight of her. The girls at that fucking school are circling like fucking vultures now that Trouble's not there to protect us," Mr. Coleman says ironically. I knew that was the case. He sounds angry, and I recall what he thinks he saw. I raise my eyebrows, but know that he and Mr. Griffin are not the ones responsible for getting Miss Sorenson to gym safely. I decide to let his language drop (take that Sean!).

Just then our phones buzz.

Mr. Morgan: Sang is heading back to the house. She's walking really slowly though so it'll take a few minutes more.

Me: Very good, Mr. Morgan. Please meet me at my car. I need to speak with you.

"Mr. Griffin, please take over Mr. Morgan's guard detail, as you have no assignments this evening. The rest of you, I would like to remind you that our secondary mission at Ashley Waters which was voted upon, the protection of Miss Sorenson, is no less important than the embezzlement scam. You would do well to remember that. And for God's sake, trust a little!" I can't help but adding angrily to their bafflement.