Part 94

Sean POV

As soon as politely possible, we exit the meeting. I feel hunted, and I'm not even the one in the spotlight. Those girls are animals! I know my brothers will agree. We've gotten so used to our unassuming Pumpkin that all other females seem brash.

Kota has his arm comfortingly around Pookie as we make our way outside. She's shivering to the point where he shifts his arm to her waist in order to keep her from toppling over.

"Well, O-man, I think that went rather well. Wouldn't you agree?" I ask right as Miss Sang dashes to some nearby bushes and bends double just before the sound of retching meets our ears.

"Oh yes, Sean. It went so well that Miss Sorenson cannot seem to contain her giddiness. Do be a pal and fetch a bottle of water," he tells me ironically.

Instead of wasting time arguing, I dash off and wage my own internal debate. Don't mind me. I only got my stitches out two days ago. Don't worry, I'm sure my wounds enjoy my little jog. Sick people are only what I do for a living. Never mind that I spent oodles of hours studying the stuff. Forget about me being just as concerned as they all are.

Oh, no, of course you shouldn't send the fastest runner among us. I'll just run my doctor butt over to the car to grab a bottle of water and back instead of taking care of my favorite patient, I think as I dash back toward the group of chattering young men. Seeing how truly embarrassed Pumpkin is surrounded by my brothers, I decide I get to play white knight after all.

"Come along, Pookie. Here, rinse and spit. Let's get out of here before the others catch on and try to trap you again in their ring of manliness," I declare as I maneuver her out of the circle and toward the car.

"Thanks," Sang whispers before turning the water bottle up at her lips and following my instructions.

"Of course, sweetie. You can't expect those bumbling idiots to know what to do with distressed damsels. I don't know if anyone told you, but I am a doctor," I flirt as I open the door of Owen's car.

Sang slides into the back seat and I follow. I totally just ensured I get my Pumpkin all to myself for the drive to her house. Ha! Take that, O-man! Try and boss me around again and you'll see what happens.

"Wouldn't you be more comfortable up front, Miss Sorenson?" Owen asks once he opens his door.

"NO! I mean no, I'm fine. Thank you," Sang says as she grips her seatbelt as a lifeline in case O-man tries to forcibly move her.

I can't help but snort while containing my laugh. Owen's eyes flick toward me in the mirror and narrow momentarily before focusing straight ahead. I reach my hand sideways making a loose fist for Sang to bump, but she only looks at it confusedly. Okay, well then I'll do it for you, Pumpkin, I mentally smile. Grabbing her small hand, I fold her fingers into a loose fist then pull my hand back slightly before bumping my knuckles against hers.

When her eyes light up in understanding, she giggles and opens her hand like it exploded. So cute! Just as I'm about to mention the giggle cure, Luke opens the passenger door in front and flops into the seat.

"Sorry I'm late. I had to steal these back from North," Luke says with an air of suppressed excitement as he shoves his hand between the front seats to reach us.

Resting on his palm is an assortment of Starbursts. I select one and nod at Sang to do the same. She grins and picks a green one.

"Good! You left me the cherry ones," Luke says as he unwraps his candy.

Owen turns his head slightly toward Luke while maintaining eye contact with the street and opens his mouth. To my absolute delight, Sang leans forward and pops the candy she had selected into his mouth instead while giggling adorably.

"Can I have another, Luke?" Sang asks sweetly.

He huffs out a breath but hands her the last Starburst. She thanks him happily and sits back, readjusting her seatbelt as she settles. The rest of the car ride is made in silence. Many of my brothers plan on stopping over for a time either this evening or tonight some time to try and decompress and strengthen our familyhood.

As we pull into the outbuilding where we store our cars, Sang does a doubletake at the black sedan next to us.

"What's the matter, Pookie?" I ask, feeling that her instincts are telling us something.

"Is someone storing a new car here? That isn't one I've seen before. There was a MRH-941, and an AFM-100 in that make and model before," Sang explains.

Meeting Owen's eyes in the mirror, he tells me to distract Miss Sang for a while so he and Luke can scout out the house. When Kota pulls in next to us, I focus on Pookie, and think of ways to keep her occupied while everyone else plays secret agent.

Grabbing Sang's hand, I lift my shirt and placed her delicate palm near my healing stab wound. "Does this look alright?" I ask her earnestly. "That big, meanie-face Owen made me run earlier."

Her breath catches and her face flames as she leans toward me to examine my chest. O-man and Luke silently leave the car while our lovely bird is distracted. She runs her finger around the dingy outline of an old bandage adhesive while pulling herself up onto the seat to perch on her knees.

"Hmm. I really don't think there's anything wrong with it. It doesn't look inflamed or swollen. I don't want to directly touch the wound without washing my hands first, but it doesn't feel like there's any extra heat there. Should I get Kota or Nate to take a look? Maybe we can ask Mr. Blackbourne to take you to the hospital to be checked," Sang rambles while her breath puffs across my chest at increasing speeds.

She makes a move to back away and exit the car, but I can't have that. I take her arm that she has been propping herself up with on the car seat, and pull it so that she has no choice but to fall over. On my lap. Probably not my best thought out plan, but I'll take it. She flops so that she's facing me as she curls onto her side.

"Dr. Sean!" she outright laughs at my foolishness.

"Sorry, Pookie. I didn't want you running off. I never get you alone; although, I don't think that making you face-plant into my lap was my smoothest move," I huff out a laugh as she snorts.

I watch in fascination as her eyes become mischievous. She rolls her head toward my stomach and presses her lips there. My abs contract involuntarily, pulling my skin away from Sang's lips. She smiles, and waits while my muscles relax and we're touching once more. Her tongue flicks out to lick my skin right next to my bellybutton.

I know it's wrong, and naughty, and that Sang isn't ready for that sort of step yet, but I can't help but wish that mouth and tongue travel lower. I want to feel her breath puff against my lower stomach, and fingers feather over my... OH MY GOD!

"Tickles! Stop. No. Sang. TICKLES!" I gasp through my laughter as Sang blows raspberry after raspberry all over my stomach. She pops up wiping her mouth, and smirking. Oh lord; if any of my brothers saw that I'd be a dead man. I pull her into my side, and rest my cheek against hers until I feel a text come through on my phone.

"Looks like the others are waiting for us, Love. We'd better go in before they send out a search party," I say as I open my door and tug her out.

Inside the house is quiet, but I know that the guys found something they weren't expecting; or should I say someone? Well, they did get an introduction...I'm just surprised they had the gumption to show up here like this. Dr. and Ms. Blund seem determined to interfere with my Pumpkin's wellbeing.