Part 32

Sean POV:

I cannot believe what I just heard. I don't think Owen realized he left the call connected, and on speakerphone no less! Listening to his explanation made it very difficult to keep my laughter silent. Poor Pookie having such a fuddy duddy explain things to her! I don't know when, and I don't know how, but I'll make sure to never let him live this down. This will go into my wonderful archives of blackmail material.

I approach the barn and hear their quiet discussion as I sneak inside.

"...you helped me so much today," Owen tells Sang, "I don't know if I'll ever be able to express how much you sped it along," he says continues from overhead.

"After how you helped me? That was nothing," she exclaims happily. I laugh as I approach the ladder. I'm feeling a bit rueful for having disconnected the call when those two went silent. Hearing the tail-end of their mutual praise is making me nauseous like I always feel when witnessing lovebirds going gaga over each other.

"Good morning, Dr. Sean! Are you coming up here, or just staying on the bottom?" Pookie calls out from the top of the ladder.  

"Good morning, you two! Sounds like everything came out alright!" I laugh. Owen's eyes snap to me, seeming to hear the insinuation in my voice.

"Oh, yes! It was amazing," Pookie sighs happily. "You should see him. He's just the cutest little thing ever!" she exclaims. I choke back the shocked laughter that wants to escape.

"Little, huh?" I send an evil smirk at Owen before looking back at Sang.

"Oh, yes! Logically, I know new kittens are small, but they're all so tiny!" she says clasping her hands in front of her heart.

I obviously know that we were talking about two very different things, and a teasing smile at Owen clues him in that I'm a little bit more knowledgeable of recent events than he'd like. Oh well, he would have told me later anyway. He narrows his eyes at me, looking like a thundercloud, and I pull my phone from my pocket wearing a smirk before shooting a look toward his bulging coat pocket. I see the realization dawn in his eyes, and allow my smirk to spread into a full, cheek-hurting grin.

"I was just telling Mr. Blackbourne who the third person in the school embezzlement scheme is. I heard his voice during lunch yesterday, but with everything that's happened, it totally slipped my mind," she says with a hint of embarrassment in her voice.

"No need to feel bad for forgetting, Pumpkin. You've had a busy week," I say magnanimously now that I know I didn't walk in on the post-mortem of their encounter. I make my way over to where she indicated the kittens are, and nod in appreciation.

"Not quite babies at the hospital, but I'll take it!" I tell her, adding a flirtatious wink when she meets my eyes, and turns pink.

Owen rolls his eyes before telling us we need to head out so that we have time to get ready for school today.

"I brought you some clothes you can change into to save time, Owen. We wouldn't want your head to explode because you were forced to wear the same drawers again. I'm sure Pookie, and Nate wouldn't mind you using the shower at his house," I say egging him on a little.   

"I'm sure Nathan won't mind, and it's okay with me," she says while her blush travels down her neck. I chuckle, then turn my eyes back to Owen to see his ears standing in red contrast against his pale skin and dark hair. The man is a pro at keeping his face blank, but that kind of blush will always tell all!

I make my way back to Nate's house and stop at my car to fetch the clothes I promised Owen. I go inside and see Pookie pause when Nathan comes out of his room rubbing a towel over his head to dry his hair, and his dress shirt only partially buttoned on bottom exposing his tank top undershirt. His eyes light up when he spots Sang standing with her finger pressed to her lip and staring at his exposed chest. He walks toward her, and gently takes her hand from her mouth.

"None of that, Peanut," he murmurs. Sang glances at Owen, who gives her a millimeter smile and a nod, then she reaches for Nate's free hand to pop his finger into her mouth. He grins and drags the hand he's holding up to his mouth. I'm starting to feel a little uncomfortable with them looking at each other like that, so I clap my hands loudly and rub my palms together.

"Well! What should I make for breakfast?" I ask jovially. Owen gags slightly and loses all color right before it rushes back into his face.

"You will refrain from making breakfast this morning and all other mornings, Dr. Green," he almost shouts.

"It was one little trip to the ER. For goodness sake, Owen. It could have happened to anyone! How was I to know that those weren't green onions? They looked just like them. I meant to ask when you planted an herb garden. So, maybe I should have before putting them in your omelet. You live and you learn, right?" I try to brush off the incident as humorous, but recalling how sick he got killed most of my playfulness.

"Um, guys?" Sang wanders back into the room from Nate's father's room looking pale, with her hand pressed to the base of her neck.

"What's the matter, Pookie?" I ask, happy for the subject change.

"I forgot to get it down," she whispers. I have no idea what she's talking about, but know she's feeling incredibly guilty. She silently points to the room, and we wander in looking around.

"Did you wet the bed, Peanut?" Nate asks stupidly. She shakes her head mutely, and points to the ceiling. Looking up, I see a the drywall is marred just like the wall in the living room where she demonstrated her throwing skills. Owen walks toward the bed, and we all cringe a little at the wet squishing sounds his feet produce on the carpet.

"Mr. Griffin, now would be a good time to fetch the garden hose. We need to drain it before more water can seep out. Dr. Green, please find the shop-vac. Miss Sorenson, I would like to hear the story of how this happened at this point, but for now please commence getting ready for school," Owen takes charge. He pulls out his phone—likely to call in reinforcements, then watches as Sang gathers clean clothes, enters the bathroom, and turns on the water. Once she's safely beyond hearing we meet each others' eyes and burst into laughter. We're both bracing our hands on our knees to support our shaking frames when Nate and Kota find us. They look absolutely baffled, so I break the moment by pushing my way out of the room. I go to the garage and fetch the vacuum, ready to continue with my humor, but Owen is all business again. When North, Silas, and Luke show up, Owen takes his shower and gets dressed. 

Sang has breakfast on the table by the time the guys finish taking the carpet out, and everyone eats hurriedly and happily before heading to school. North looks extremely guilty, but I don't see why he would feel responsible for anything.