Chapter 16

"The results are in! Which of the performances from the 25th annual Ten-oh Festival will emerge victorious?"

Announced by the announcer.

"In third place... Senjo University High School!"

I glanced over Miku. She was smiling, the smile when she thought her victory was inevitable.

"And next, in second place... Better luck next year, Raizen High! And now, a round of applause for the winner... We all saw it coming: In the first place, Rindoji Academy for Women! Next, we will check the overall rankings for today!"

Tohka: Ngoc...

Miku: You see?

Miku walked up to me with a giggle.

Miku: This is all because you put too much trust in your friends. A deal is a deal. Today, you and all your Spirit friends will be mine. Don't be afraid. I take extra good care of my favorites...

In the middle of her words, the announcer continued speaking.

"First place in the overall ranking is... Raizen High! Congratulations!

Miku: ... Huh?

"Raizen High's Maid Café got an outstanding number of votes among the booths, which bumped them up past Rindoji into first place!"

Ngoc (Amy): Holy shit, we've won?

Tohka: Ngoc! We did it!

Ai: I never had a doubt about you.

Shido: Good job.

As we were celebrating, something happened.

Miku: ... This can't be happening. There's no way I could lose. I am... I am Miku Izayoi!

Ngoc (Amy): Miku...

Miku: Don't. I-I won! I definitely won!

Ngoc (Amy): Um, no, you lost. Why? Because we have the power of friendship.

Miku: Friendship?

Ngoc (Amy): There's no doubt that your performance was better than ours, but our classmates more than made up for what we lacked. No matter how weak you think humans are, together, they can best even you. That's why, Miku, you too-

Miku: Shut up. Friendship? Together? I can't believe my ears. Let me tell you something: Those words have no power against me!

Ngoc (Amy): Oh boy.

Miku: Gabriel!

The moment she shouted that name, an odd giant lump of metal gradually rise up onto the stage from behind Miku. Its form was like a giant pipe organ.

Ngoc (Amy): Miku, wait-!

She then swung her hand from left to right. When she did, a piano's keyboard appeared where she swung at.

Miku: Sing, sing, sing, Gabriel!

With one hit on the keyboard, a loud sound came from her angel. Because it was too loud, I reflexively covered my ears, the same with Shido and Ai.

When we removed our hands covering our ears, I noticed there wasn't a single light came from the crowd.

Ngoc (Amy): What the... Miku, did you...

Miku: Friendship, was it? My, how beautiful, and how wonderful... *giggle* that it's so easy to break.

Miku pressed a few buttons on the keyboard. The crowd was now had a their glow stick on, but this time was purple.