Chapter 27

. . .

Shido: ...?

He opened his eyes as he saw himself in the middle of the road and it didn't look like the city was destroyed like how he remembered.

Shido: What the...? Ugh, feels like my head's full of jellybeans.

Ngoc: Sounds delicious.

Shido: Not really... Wait a minute.

He quickly turned around.

Shido: Ngoc, is that you?!

Ngoc: Yeah. Why'd you ask?

It was only a second before Shido made an annoyed expression as if he was angry.

Shido: God damn it! Ngoc, where the hell are we?

Ngoc: Well, we probably are in the city, but... there's no sign of Origami and the others. And wasn't the sky dark before? I'm confused.

Shido: Me either.

But of course, he had no reason to be angry at Ngoc. After all, it was after meeting Kurumi that he got himself in this situation.

Shido: That's right! Kurumi!

Ngoc: Huh?

Shido looked around to find Kurumi.

Shido: Hey, Kurumi! I know you can hear me! Wherever you are, say something!

...

No one answered, only to Ngoc's perspective though. For Shido, he heard someone laughing.

Kurumi: Already realized, huh? As expected from you.

Shido: Kurumi! Where are you? Why do I feel like you're not even here?

Kurumi: Fufu, you are right. I am currently at a different time from Shido.

Shido: A different time?

Ngoc: Hey, Shido!

When he called him, Shido noticed Ngoc was reading the newspaper. He probably picked it up somewhere around here.

Ngoc: Is it just me or this paper looks old, but also new.

Shido: What?

Ngoc: I mean, it's new from the outside, but the date is... uh, it almost looks like this was made five years ago.

Shido: ... Kurumi, mind giving me an explanation?

Kurumi replied back.

Kurumi: Why of course. You see, it's exactly what you're thinking. I sent you back to Tengu City from five years ago. That's the power of the 12th bullet - Yud Bet, Zafkiel's last bullet.

Shido: Yud Bet?

Kurumi: I'm curious, though. How did Ngoc get there?

Shido: Huh? You mean you didn't send him here like me?

Kurumi: I'm afraid I didn't. I guess it has something to do about with Ngoc crashing into you that time.

Shido: (Oh, right. I remember... barely.)

Kurumi: But that still doesn't fully explain it... Oh, and also, the reason why I am able to talk to you now, is also because of Zafkiel's power. The 9th bullet - Tet. It's a bullet that allows me to connect a person's thoughts in a different time axis. Well, it's a bullet I don't use a lot so I'm not used to it and it takes some effort to connect my thoughts.

Shido: Connecting your thoughts?

Kurumi: Yes. Obviously for talking to you, I am able to share what Shido sees and hear, too.