16. I am being watched.

I cringed as I stepped onto the other side and waited for some jolt or something to jar me out of my memory.  But nothing happened. 

        I scrunched up my brows and tried to remember if something out of the ordinary happened but, no, nothing happened, it was just like I was walking through an energy force but then nothing else.

         I looked back to see that Cara was gone, in her place, it was just an illusion of clearing.  I bit my lip and controlled the impulse to go back through the ward, and back inside.

        “Come on, come on, you are free now,”  I said and steeled myself before taking a small step towards the dense forest. 

         I stopped short and realized with a jolt that I remembered.  I remembered every single detail.  From my kidnapping till my escape.  How is that?  I pondered on it and tried to map out my days, and I could do so clearly without any scenes missing from my head.

     There doesn’t seem to be any change in the memories, but I didn’t know how this supposedly ‘ward’ was to clear my memory.  Did it happen gradually?  Maybe.

         But my main concern now should be about how to get out of there, rather than pondering on whether or not my memory would be wiped out entirely or rather when it would.

          “I can do this.”  I further motivated my stupid self to move away from the forest. 

       Step after step, I took my reluctant legs towards freedom. 

        When I stepped out to a familiar clearing, my breath rushed out of me.

        I was not held against my will in an unfamiliar state or forest.  No, I was there right under everyone’s noses.  Pity, I couldn’t escape a while back, saving me from this unwarranted heartbreak. 

        I immediately ran, ran like my life depended on it.  Even though the sky was dark, I could see the path.  Although some part of me didn’t want to leave this place and leave whatever behind, I was never this much happier to want to be out of the forest. 

         The forest I have been gazing at longingly for weeks from inside my room.  And now I was out here, I wanted to get out as fast as I can.  Freedom.  That is what was important. 

         There was a bolt of quick lightning and heavy thunder followed it, shaking the forest ground.  I quickened my pace and tried not to slip and fall on the slushy mud. 

      To add insult to the injury, the rain started pouring immediately.  As averse to my earlier notion that I wanted to be out in the rain, now it was not true at all.  Because my main concern was to protect the crinkling paper in my hoodie. 

        Before my hands could get wet, I placed them inside the hoodie pocket for further protection of the paper.  My teeth chattered as the cold wind blew my soaked hair strands onto my face. 

      Hiking my shoulders up to my ears with my hands still inside the pocket, I tried to see through the heavy pour.  I seemed to be a little closer to the edge of the forest and as it was raining I couldn’t see a single soul on the pathway.

          “Fuck.”  I exclaimed as my legs slipped a little on the mud but thankfully I didn’t fall.

         I was hunching down to my front, looking for extra protection for my already soaked hoodie but I didn’t even care about catching a cold as I cared about protecting the pieces of paper. 

        My pants felt heavy with the rain and the mud clinging to my legs, but I pushed myself towards the familiar entry. 

        When I took the first step towards the concrete pavement I thought a force of something would stop me from moving further like I was in a fantasy novel, but nothing like that happened and with each step I took towards the road, the more conflicted I felt.