17. Heart to Heart.

Maybe I was just overthinking, because after a few days of locking myself up in my room, I decided it was time to venture outside and face the world. 

         I was hesitant to even take out the trash.  But somehow I braved myself and took the hesitant steps to reach outside.
When nothing happened significantly, I almost felt disappointed which is not something I should be feeling. 

         I ignored Mr. Billy as he slept on top of the steps and went back inside after taking the milk bottle and the newspaper. 

         “Hey.  Good morning.”  Michael said once I was inside the apartment. 

          “Morning,”  I mumbled and deposited the milk bottle on the kitchen counter before slouching on the couch with the newspaper in hand. 

         I was just unseeing the paper as I heard the couple preparing for the morning and ready to leave one another.  I almost felt like sneering at the display of affection.  It’s not like they didn’t give me any attention and I almost felt smothered by it sometimes but then I was itching for that. 

         For a morning with someone I loved, bustling around in the kitchen while sneaking kisses and touches in between.  It would be my absolute dream and I think it would just end as a dream.

         I sighed as I tried to concentrate on the paper rather than creepily hearing the couple whisper to each other in the hallway. 

          I almost dropped the tea- which I had prepared earlier- I had in my hand when I saw my face stare back at me from the newspaper. 

         “Livya.”  I screeched.

           She came running to my side with concern etched on her face and I almost felt sorry to yell but I couldn’t care less. 

         “What happened?”  She asked as Michael followed her.

         “What’s this?”  I asked pointing at the article with my face in it. 

          She stared at me in sorrow.  “I am sorry you had to see this.” 

         She said trying to gently pry the newspaper from my hands.  But I didn’t let her.

         “Why the fuck would you give a very ugly picture of me!  And don’t even try to deny it; I know you are the one who gave this.”  I groused and looked at the picture again.

          It was a picture of me in the dressing room of a shop in the mall.  Livya and I went to the clothing shop to just try on clothes as either of us can really afford and we made a challenge out of who dressed the other better.   

          While I gave her a sophisticated yet sexy look for her wardrobe, she just made me look like a slut with too-short ripped jean shorts and a black lace bralette and made me wear 5-inch black platform heels.

         And when she took my photos she made me ‘pout sexily’ which I didn’t dare do, which seemed to be a good thing.  Because I knew that picture will never see the light of the day but it proved me wrong. 

        I didn’t even read the article yet apart from the whole ‘Missing women found near forest’ in bold letters and my weird face staring back at me kind of distracted me. 

         She gaped at me then started to laugh, maniacally, until concerned I lifted her chin and when she stared at me her chuckles turned into full-on sobs until I pulled her to my chest. 

         I looked at her boyfriend over her shoulder and gave him a confused look. 

         He just gave me a look, to say that ‘you need to talk to her’, he went outside probably to go to his job after he squeezed Livy’s shoulder.