23. In the middle.

LUCAS’ POV

         I watched as Xander hauled Sylvia out of the bushes and onto the road.  I don’t know how she just went in there and why she ran away in the first place.

      I know the place ought to have looked pitch black, even though I can see a little clearer thanks to my enhanced vision. But for her, to just go into the fields like she was desperate to get away even in this dark was suspicious. 

         I looked at Xander as he tightened his hold on screaming and kicking Sylvia. I saw his concerned face looking down at the bundle of squirming human in his hands and remembered the last time I saw that look on his face, it was decades ago. 

        My gut clenched. 

        I ignored him and gently grabbed Sylvia from his arms and walked her in front of my car headlight to look at her.  A car zoomed past us in the opposite direction as Sylvia shivered in my arms.

        My brows furrowed.  What was happening to her?

        “Sylvia?”  I called out, but her eyes were focused only on Xander. 

         He took careful steps toward us, looking at Sylvia like one might look at a scared kitten. 

         “Don’t do this,”  Sylvia said suddenly, looking up at me. 

          She didn’t explain further and tried to squirm her way out of my hold.  I tightened my hands on her arms without it constricting. 

          “Sylvia?  What is it?”  I asked and shook her a little, like that would bring her back from whatever frenzy she was in. 

         When she didn’t do anything but shiver in my arms I turned my glare in Xander’s direction.  “What the fuck are you doing here, Xandros?”  I grunted I could feel my body heating up for a shift but I calmed down my wolf. 

        Xander just glared back at me without opening his mouth. 

         “What do you think you are doing?  You should never unprecedentedly show up before warded humans.”  I growled not caring to censor my words, because by the way of Sylvia’s unseeing eyes I knew she was not aware of what was happening around her.

        She was caught in the past and I can more or less guess what that past was about. 

       And if Xander triggered it by showing up, I would absolutely make him pay for it.

        “And what the fuck do you think you are doing now?”  He growled back, thumping my shoulder, making me loosen my hold on Sylvia.

          “I wasn’t there long enough to make an impact on her!  You clearly did.”  I glared at him. 

          He opened his mouth to say something scathing no doubt when I realized Sylvia breaking free from me.  I put out my hand at the last minute to grab her but she effectively pulled free from me and ran to the opposite road.  I looked in horror as a car came speeding towards her.

         From the corner of my eye, I saw Xander realize the same thing, but he immediately used his extraordinary speed to run towards her in a blink of an eye and grabbed her arms and pulled her backward. 

         The car sped off with no impact, the driver honking like a madman and showing us the middle finger without losing speed. 

      “Jackass,”  I growled under my breath. 

      Sylvia was breathing heavily and looked like she was conscious again after the adrenaline burst and with my headlights bouncing off her beautiful face; I could see her calming.  But still, she tugged herself free from Xander’s hold.

         Xander stood next to her like a bomb ready to go off if she tried to run again.