18. Ten Ways to Rile Up Your Enemy.

ALPHA LUCAS – 4 days earlier. 

         It was three in the morning and I moved silently through the apartment doors to try and catch the familiar scent.  The whole building was in one of the least developed areas out of the tourist’s routes and even from the outside, the building looked filthy but I could see that the interior was sturdy and well built. 

        I tried not to stamp my feet in frustration as I tried and failed to locate her scent.  I moved on to the next floor and had a crazy idea to let my wolf out because he was a better tracker than I am but it could turn into a very bad idea, very quick. 

        Not only because people won’t take kindly to wild animals in their building and if by chance some grainy CCTV footage covered my shift, but I would also be in a lot of trouble.  The people and laws from my kind won’t even look at me as an Alpha before banishing me from the very existence if I let out a whisper of the idea of shifting in a very public and unprotected area. 

        I was silently grumbling when I caught the whiff of the sweet familiar scent from my upturned nose.  My whole body tingled as I followed that faint trace towards the end of the hallway.  There stood a closed-door and from where I was standing I know that it had to be her apartment. 

         I picked the lock, which was humiliatingly easy to open.  I opened my senses and tried to hear if someone was awake on the other side of the door.  When there was no shuffle of feet or static audio, I went inside careful not to let my footfall louder. 

       I have been in a situation that was worse than this, but this is close to my heart or at least I think so.  So, I was being extra careful.

        When I stepped into the apartment there was no doubt as to where the bedroom was located because the other door led to the bathroom.  But what irked me the most was that I heard a girl lived with her but a guy comes and goes as he pleases.  And if my suspicion about him being my mate’s…. or at least Sylvia’s boyfriend I don’t think if I will keep up the pretense of being quiet. 

         Clenching my jaw, I slowly opened the door and the first thing I saw was a crooked bed with two lumps under the sheets and my carefully corded control snapped.  I walked with purpose towards them when the sweetest smell hit me from other side of the room as the wind rustled in through the open window. 

        I immediately turned around and had to stop myself from going to her bed and grabbing her and taking her with me.  If I did then I wouldn’t be any better than Xandros.  But at least this way I can look at her without disturbing any of her memories. 

         My eyes snagged on her face, lit from the moonlight streaming through the window, her sheets were down to her shoulder leaving her pale neck for my perusal.  I took a step closer, mesmerized, her skin glimmered, and to my eyes, she looked like a sleeping angel who was sent down to earth to mess with my life. 

         I once again lowered my eyes to her neck, couldn’t help myself to be honest, and found a red marking.  I squinted my eyes and sure enough, there was a fading bruise.  I faintly remember seeing it back at the Storm Rider’s territory where she was held captive but then I couldn’t be sure as I was under Sylvia’s trance. 

        I know a hickey when I see one and there was no doubt about who gave her that.  Xandros.  Trying to take away what’s mine.

        I clenched my fists in frustration.  Why couldn’t she have been a shifter?  Why didn’t I investigate the fresh Lilac smell when I first got the whiff of it?  I remembered that day; I just came back to town after attending the bi-monthly meeting with some of our ally packs and my motorbike broke down, but then it did run for 32 km in one stretch.  So I placed it near a shade and started working on it.