Chapter three.

We weren't in school for an entire year after that point, our families spent a lot of time together, I got to know Newt's brother a lot more, as he was nine years older than us he already had a job at the Ministry and he wasn't home much. We even travelled a little, most notably, when Newt's family invited myself and my mother to accompany them on a trip to Scotland with them for a week, apparently there was a rouge Murtlap causing trouble for some very confused Muggles up there. We had a wonderful time, and everyone had forgotten about the expulsion, well, we didn't forget, but we tried exceedingly hard to. When we got back we found that our house had been ransacked by wizards, it made sense for us to move, for our own safety, and the Scamander's offered us a space at their house while we got ourselves sorted. My mother did never end up moving out and lived with the Scamander's until she passed many, many years later.

But, the day that we were meant to be going into our fifth year, a letter showed up at our house, by owl into our kitchen, where myself and Newt were, the letter turned out to be a Portkey and it took us straight to Dumbledore's office at Hogwarts, where he told us we were being accepted back into the school, but we would be a year behind everyone else our own age, which made sense. That fourth year for us was supposed to be our fifth, but at least we were together there. That year went smoothly, there was of course the usual rumours and teasing from the other students about my father and us being expelled, but we also found out that it was Dumbledore that had fought for us for the last year to have us reinstated into the school.

By the time we started our fifth year, everyone knew who my father was, and the teasing and comments were getting worse, and Christmas of our fifth year I was ready to not go back for the remainder of my years. I sat up with Newt's mother in the early hours of Christmas Eve, I couldn't sleep and she was still wrapping presents, the conversation we had that night, would always stick with me, "Do you think I will become like my father, Joyce?"

"I believe you have too much good in your heart to ever be anything like him." She replied, looking up from the book she was wrapping.

"But what if blood wins?"

"Then we will have to bring you back as a family. Newt won't let anything happen to you, and neither will we."

I did end up going back after Christmas, and Newt stuck closer to me than ever before, I always guessed his mom had told him about the conversation we had. This just led to more teasing though, people would accuse us of being co-dependant and being in a sexual relationship, which we always denied and it always brought a blush to both of our faces at the mere thought of that happening between us. The girls who I shared a dorm with were very persistent with their questioning about what was happening between myself and Newt, I always gave the same answer, "We are best friends, nothing more."

Our sixth year started on a high note, we started the school year a little earlier, and it would be the first year I celebrated my birthday without my mom, I was turning seventeen, and three days later so would Newt. I celebrated my birthday the Saturday we arrived, in a classroom with Newt and Professor Dumbledore, I didn't like anyone else at the school, and they definitely didn't like me, even the first years were warned about who I was and they seemed reluctant to speak to me at all.

"So, Rosaline, what do you hope from your sixth year here at Hogwarts?" Dumbledore asked.

"To try not to get as many detentions as last year." I chuckled.

"The way you will do that, is to show up to your classes, Miss. Johnson, and you as well Mr Scamander." Professor McGonagall stated, bringing a tray of tea into the room.

"I promise to be in all of your spell classes this year, Professor." I vowed, smiling shyly at her.

"I will be there as well." Newt commented, taking a cup of tea from the tray.

McGonagall and Dumbledore were accused of favouritism for this meeting, but we continued to have weekly meetings such as these, they helped me and Newt get through that year, as that year would prove the toughest yet. My father had amped up on his attacks and was claiming more lives of witches, wizards, and Muggles every day, and no one could seem to stop him. It was that year we found out that Dumbledore and him had been remarkably close when they were younger, he told me about who my father was before he became the monster he was, and it was clear to see how my mother fell in love with him so easily. But, along with this latest information about him, he also reached out to me for the first ever time, it came by owl, I thought it was a letter from my mother, until a pressed rose fell out and I saw the unfamiliar handwriting, I closed the letter and stuck it into my robes, I refused to read it until the Saturday when I could be with the three people I trusted most at Hogwarts. The letter sent chills through all of us, even McGonagall looked shaken by the contents:

A beautiful rose for a beautiful rose,

Good day, daughter, I trust your mother had trusted you with the information of your parentage now, you are old enough to make your own choices now, and it is my blood that causes your magic to be so powerful. I have been seeking you out for years now, but my letter always seem to find their ways back to me, you have a lot of people protecting you from me, such a lucky girl. I cannot see you within the halls of Hogwarts, but I know you would have met Albus Dumbledore by now, whatever he says to you, you cannot believe him, he seeks to bring me down, as does everyone else. I am not the monster they say I am, I am just seeking my birth right, your birth right. We are of a pure bloodline of magic, I made a mistake of your mother being a Muggle, but her family was of magical descent, so I knew you would be fine with her for now, but the time has come for you to come home to me and be with your own kind. Join me, daughter.

Your Father,

Gellert Grindelwald.