Chapter five.

We were nineteen when we finally made it out of there, full wizards, and not long after I turned twenty, followed by Newt three days later, we had also been offered to do two years in the field studying fantastic beasts with the Ministry. For the first year we travelled the world, going to unusual places as often as we could, rescuing beats that we would find, as well as Dumbledore sending us to certain spaces that he had heard of trafficked animals, the most noticeable being when we went to Egypt and recused a Thunderbird called Frank. We then spent four months at home with our families filing our findings to the Ministry, before we were off again, back travelling to Africa, we spent an entire year there, looking after the beasts there and becoming unbelievably closer. We then went home for a month, before we were off again to America, I promised to write to them all as often as I could, I even promised to write to Theseus, which was Newt's brother, to give him updates on how we were doing; he and Newt weren't that close, but we had become over the years and I kept him updated on how Newt was keeping.

We had been on the ship for 16 days when we docked in New York, the trip was taking longer than usual, probably due to the severe weather that had been hitting us at every turn. We were sat on a bench outside of the cabins, Newt's case on his lap as he spoke to the creatures inside, telling them to settle down as they had popped the clasp on it open. I smiled over at him as he leant his head on his hands on top of his case, looking out at the sea ahead of us as we pulling into the dock. We got off the boat and headed to the customs, I was instantly nervous, I knew that I had nothing that was bad on me, but they could still find some of my magic stuff. I was also nervous because the Niffler had been messing around lately and had escaped many times in the last three or four months and we just couldn't get him to stop escaping. Luckily, it wasn't me that was stopped, I was let through at once, he just skimmed over my passport, but Newt always had a demanding time making eye contact, so the officer took that as being suspicious.

"You're British?" The officer asked, looking down at his passport.

"Yes." Newt replied, looking anywhere but at the officer.

"First time in New York?"

"Yes."

"Is there anything edible in there?" He asked, pointing to Newt's case.

Newt placed his hand over his left breast pocket before replying, "No."

"Any livestock?"

One of the latches opened on the case, I held my breath as Newt closed it calmly before looking back at the officer, "Ahh, I must get that fixed, no there isn't."

"Alright, can I have a look please?"

I watched anxiously as Newt placed the case on the table and the officer opened it, inside he saw ordinary things, clothes, journals, his Hufflepuff scarf and a photo of the two of us together. I smiled when I saw it over the officers shoulder, he looked at the contents for a moment and then closed the case, "Thank you, welcome to New York."

Newt smiled at him and grabbed his stuff before rushing to come and join me, I linked my arm with his and we walked out of the dock quickly, wanting to get out of there as quickly as possible. We walked the busy streets of New York, occasionally looking at the sights of the city, or avoiding bumping into people as they pushed past us, it was vastly different to London. We continued to walk until we came to a small gathering of people watching a women speak, I wasn't really paying attention to what she was saying, I was looking up at the massive bank in front of us. I was completely zoned out, until I saw two tiny paws come around a pillar and grab the hat of a beggar, when I looked properly, I saw the Niffler pushing coins into his pouch, I tightened my hand on Newt's arm subtly and nodded my head to where the Niffler was sitting. He spotted us and scurried back into the bank, me and Newt excused ourselves and raced after him, not noticing the young women following closely behind us. We looked around the bank, looking for any sign of the pilfering pest, I couldn't see him, I unhooked my arm from Newt's and walked to the left of the bank, while he went to the right and sat beside the Muggle that had crashed into Newt's case earlier. I kept my eyes open for the Niffler, while also trying to blend in, so not to draw attention to myself or to Newt, because people definitely saw us enter together. I looked over at Newt, seeing him stand up and run towards me, I failed to see that be left an Occamy egg on the bench, or that the Muggle picked it up and put it into his pocket as he went into the office. Newt ran towards me, with his wand drawn at his side, and his case in the other, I also drew my wand and looked down to where Newt was looking, I saw the Niffler taking the buckle from a women's shoe, I tried to bend down slowly to get him, but he noticed me and scuttled off before I could reach him. Newt came over to me, sliding his wand back up his sleeve, "Which way did he go?"

"I don't know, I think he went over towards to the door." I stated, pointing towards a small bench next to a door.