Chapter ten.

We landed on a street outside an apartment building, Tina led us down a step, which was amusing to watch as Jacob was unsteady on his feet. She stopped us across the street, hiding behind a parked car, "Okay—before we go in—I'm not supposed to have men on the premise."

"In that case, myself, Mr. Kowalski, and Rosaline can find residence elsewhere." Newt stated, trying to lead myself and Jacob away.

"Oh no, you don't!" She stated, pulling Jacob across the road, making us follow closely behind, sending each other a frustrated look, knowing that we should be out looking for the creatures before they got hurt, or worse.

We were pulled into the building, Tina placed a finger over her lip, letting us know we had to be quiet. We all froze as we heard a women's voice with a Spanish twang yelled out, "That you, Tina?"

"Yes, Mrs. Esposito!" She shouted back, giving us a warning look.

"Are you alone?"

"I'm always alone, Mrs. Esposito!" Tina shouted back, making me feel bad for her.

We carried on up the stairs, trying to synchronise our steps, so not to raise any red flags, we finally made it to the front door of her apartment we stopped and Tina opened the door for us, letting us inside and shutting the door behind her. It was a quaint and small apartment, everyday magic was swirling in the air, I looked around the room around Newt's shoulder, seeing a variety of clothing drying on a flimsy clotheshorse in front of the fire. I looked over to the room separating doors and saw a beautiful women standing against it, a dummy behind her with a dress on it, being sewn up, she smiled at us all, "Teenie—you brought men home."

I looked up and Newt, but he was looking over at the window, peeking out the curtains to see if anything would go past, Jacob was staring at her with a wonderous look on his face, his sweating having intensified all over again. Tina sighed quietly, "This is my sister. You want to put something on, Queenie?"

Queenie looked down at herself, unconcerned at her state of undress, "Oh, sure—"

I watched out the corner of my eye as she waved her wand up the dummy, bringing the dress up and over her body, giggling quietly under her breath, I averted my gaze, thinking, 'I wish I looked that elegant getting dressed, I looked like the Niffler when he got stuck in vines.'

Queenie looked over at me with a small amount of confusion on her face, making me look at her shocked, she looked away and looked back to Tina, "Who are they?"

"That's Mr. Scamander and Miss. Johnson. They have committed a serious infraction of the National Statute of Secrecy—"

She looked over at is, vaguely impressed, "They're criminals?"

"—uh huh, and this is Mr. Kowalski, he's a No-Maj—"

Queenie looked at Tina very quickly, a worried expression on his face, "A No-Maj? Teen—what are you up to?"

"He's sick—its a long story—Mr. Scamander and Miss. Johnson have lost something. I'm going to help them find it." Tina explained, watching us as we looked out the window.

Our attention was brought to Jacob as he staggered, his fever higher than before, his sweating was even worse than before as well, Queenie ran straight over to him, Tina was hovering near by as myself and Newt were still stood by the window watching everything happen. Queenie started speaking as Jacob collapsed on to the sofa, "You need to it down, honey. Hey—he hasn't eaten anything all day. And—aw, thats rough,-- he didn't get the money he wanted for his bakery. You bake, honey? I love to cook."

I suddenly had a renewed interest in the conversation, as did Newt as we turned around and watched Queenie, Newt spoke first, "You're a Legilimens?"

"That's why you looked at me confused earlier." I commented.

"Uh huh, yeah. But I always have trouble with your kind. Brits. Its the accent." She replied, scrunching her face slightly.

"You look like you understood me perfectly clearly." I mumbled.

"That was easy to pick up on, sweet. I'm sure you are just as elegant." She replied, smiling cheekily.

Jacob looked a little queasy as she told us this, I also blushed a bright red when she heard what I had said, Jacob looked over at Queenie, "You know how to read minds?"

She chuckled under her breath, "Aw, don't worry, honey. Most guys think what you was thinking, first time they see me"- she gestured to him with her wand playfully-"Now, you need food."

I felt Newt tense slightly behind me and looked at him, seeing him looking out the window, I followed his eyeline and saw a Billywig fly past the window, my sense of urgency of getting out of this apartment was at an all time high now, and by the look on Newt's face, he was feeling the same as well. While the sisters were busy with sorting out food, I looked up at Newt, whispering, "Think we can sneak out?"

"I don't know. We have to try though, they could be hurt already." He whispered back, his hand coming to rest on the small of my back.

I nodded in agreement, allowing him to guide me towards the door, I watched as Tina set the table and Jacob sat down, as Newt was about to open the door, we heard Queenies voice behind us, "Hey Mr. Scamander, Miss. Johnson, you prefer pie or strudel?"

Newt took his hand away, flushing with embarrassment, glancing over at me, "I really don't have a preference."

"I don't either." I mumbled, looking over at her with an apologetic look.

Queenie looked over at Jacob, who was tucking a napkin into his shirt, "You prefer strudel, huh, honey? Strudel it is."

With a flick of her wand, she sent ingredients into the air, making the room smell amazing, Tina was watching me and Newt, making sure we weren't about to run again. The strudel landed on the table and I heard a small familiar squeak come from Newt's pocket, I looked around and saw Picketts head pop up out of his pocket and look around the room, I smiled fondly watching him. Tina looked over at us, leaning against the back of her chair, her wand still in hand, "Well, sit down, Mr. Scamander, Miss. Johnson, we're not going to poison you."

'I wasn't thinking that anyway, but now I am.' I thought begrudgingly, looking at the offered seat next to Jacob.

We both hesitated before Jacob glared at both of us, nodding to the seats, we shared a look and then sat down, Queenie sent me a knowing look, making me blush from the apples of my cheeks all the way to the tips of my ears. We sat the table, an uncomfortable silence falling over us, I tried to contain my thoughts as best as I could, knowing that Queenie would definitely hear me in the silence that had fallen over us. I couldn't contain all of my thoughts though, 'I need to get out of here.'

"You're safe here, sweetie. Whatever you are worried about can't get you here." Queenie reassured, smiling softly at me.

I blushed bright red, "It's not like that, I'm just worried about the things we have lost."

"Something important to you and Mr. Scamander?" She asked, trying to read me.

'More than you will ever know.' I thought while nodding my head, hoping she wouldn't pick up everything.