The Beginning to the End

Midori waited with Eri in that room for who knows how long. All he could tell was that two nights had passed since Overhaul had come in to collect from her. And in those two nights, Midori stood guard over the small girl to a point he was falling asleep on the floor with his head leaned against the bed frame.

And even though he fell asleep midway through his night watch only to wake up in a cold sweat, Overhaul had not once come back. Midori could only guess that Overhaul collected what was needed from her during that one visit.

When it wasn't night, Midori was keeping Eri occupied one way or another by attempting to play some sort of game like hide and seek or telling her stories about racing. But he still had no idea how long it would be until Overhaul came again.

And his question was answered when an alarm started going off outside in the halls. The alarm didn't sound panicked like any kind of fire alarm he had remembered. It was more like a beeping alarm clock that rang out in the halls even behind the string door holding them hostage.

Eri woke up from the alarms and buried herself under the blankets with Midori rising to his feet to block her from the view of anyone who decided to open the door.

And low and behold, Overhaul and Chronostasis came in without a single trace of panic to their step as they calmly entered the room.

"What is going on, Overhaul?"

"The heroes apparently found our headquarters. But there is no harm since we will be gone before they ever find us," Overhaul snapped his gloves fingers and gestured to the masked man beside him. "Chrono."

When Midori saw the man approaching Eri, he put up his hands, "Wait, I'll handle her! It's my job, right? I can handle this much."

"Sir, please reconsider this," Chronostasis begged.

Overhaul looked between the two for only a moment and let out a frustrated sigh.

"Fine," Overhaul clicked his tongue. "You may carry her as long as you don't get in the way or try anything while we make our escape. And who knows? Maybe you and the other two will provide decent help for us in the future if you prove yourselves in this situation."

Midori bent down to allow Eri to clasp her hands around his neck to ride on his back. He straightened up with the little girl maneuvering her hands to grip his shoulder tightly.

"Now follow. We have an escape route already planned for events like these," Overhaul ordered.

Midori nodded at him with a tense expression, bouncing a bit to make Eri sit higher on his back before following after the Yakuza leader. Chronostasis made a clicking noise behind him as the other man walked slightly ahead to be behind Overhaul. But Midori felt his eyes on him as he continued to walk down the corridor with Eri on his back.

He was sure that they would pick up the pace as soon as they exited the on or turned a corner. But he noticed right away that the two men were walking with no real hurry in their step. Like they had full confidence that they would make it out with no problem from whoever was breaking in.

And just for a moment, he remembered what Eri had told him about the caped man she had seen. If that card man was truly a hero, then this break in won't be as simple as the two Yakuza think.

For now, he will just keep his pace steady while keeping his eyes and ears open for any hero that may come their way.

'If the heroes are actually good, it would be better for Eri to go with them,' Midori thought as he felt the small fingers on his shoulders tighten. 'I wouldn't want to drag her into the league business when she could be given a normal happy life.'