Fear Magic

3rd POV:

„Silence." Says Kalego-sensei as he enters the class, stopping the weapons sprung at him with a magical barrier and redirecting them on the ground. He looks highly annoyed, walking to the front of the class and taking his seat. "Tch, I wasn't present at the meeting and was assigned this class in my absence. This isn't as bad in itself, but this also dragged in a demon that doesn't need your influences. Afterall, it was promised I keep an eye on them." He says, his eyes focusing on you. The class around looks curious at what this means, but no one dares ask out loud. Kalego looks down at his hands where he takes out a book and starts the roll call. You sit quietly while taking in the appearances of your classmates, lost in thought until you hear your name called. "[L/N]." Kalego says, his eyes on you again. "Here." You reply simply, getting a nod as he moves on.

This goes on for a while, and when done he stands up. "Alright you idiotic troublemakers, today we determine your ranks. Gather outside." He commands. Following, you all go down into the cave systems and then take a demon elevator to the top of a flat landing in a valley that has many sharp peaks scattered through it. "This year's first exam is a flight race. You will race to the end of the valley to where the red flag is. Your rank is determined based on your familiar summoning ritual and today's race. [Y/N]," he starts, grabbing your attention "you can't fly, so you sit this race out. You will get a worse rank, but it's better than plummeting to your death.". This gets a few more curious looks, especially from Iruma. "Don't." You hear a soft whisper and recognize Oracle standing beside you from the corner of your eye. "You can race too, just way less efficiently. You got one thing you can use, plus there's stairs both from this landing and from the landing with the flag." They say, and you realize what they are implying. You look Kalego in the eye and bite your thumb, summoning your familiar Kutsu. Behind you the fleshy beast emerges, getting a few sounds of surprise from the class around you. "I can still race, Kalego-sensei... Just not in the sky." You say as the beast obediently walks to your side. He himself looks at the creature in surprise, and then at you. Then he huffs, a pleased smirk forming on his face. "Very well, but don't expect me to help if you get lost." He says, and your invisible companion leans in. "Good move. I'll be with you all the way, don't worry." They say.

"Start." Kalego suddenly commands, and the demons except for Iruma fly off. You jump onto Kutsu's back and grab onto some of the bony protrusions, commanding it to go. It races off with you down the floating spiral of stairs at the side of the landing, racing down quickly. You already know your limbs will hurt at the end from holding onto it. The air squeals in your ears from the speed, and you quickly make it to the ground from where you continue the race. You can see your classmates are already far ahead, and despite you being disappointed, you keep your spirits up and follow. You feel arms around you, and immediately recognize the Oracle. "This brings us back, we met in a place similar to this. I'm quite proud of you, seeing how you're growing. Anyway, we want to tell you something about Kutsu. It's made up of two familiars: Shadow Wolf and the elusive Mountain Cat, with our bond in the mix. Funny enough, from the Shadow Wolf it inherited the skill Intimidation, which is used to instill fear in opponents. A brilliant skill mixed with its appearance. Then it also inherited Innocence from the Mountain Cat, the complete opposite which instead works to appear less intimidating. Keep those in mind." They say. You race through the dry grounds and a blue flower field, around plants that attack anything that flies and keep on moving. Kutsu has no issues, breathing heavily as it carries you towards your goal.

But there is a reason why demons can fly. You are 2/3 there when you happen upon a field of grass, and there are many pack bulls, large creatures with giant horns and hooves, but also long crocodile maws. They take notice of you, and you command Kutsu to stop. "You need to instruct Kutsu on what to do. Put your hands on it, feed it the feeling of your worst fear and make him use it with the intimidation skill. Magic is all about imagination." The Oracle whispers. You obey, closing your eyes and thinking of your worst fear. The most common of fears is death itself, and then you recall when you thought you were going to die when the Oracle invaded your system those years ago, how its flesh tore into yours to shove itself inside you through your back. If anyone would stick their hand into the slit in your back, they would feel your insides – The Oracle. The flesh in there is a large chunk covered in eyes, working as your stomach, heart and everything else. You think of your fear back then, feeling it again and giving the same feeling though your hands into your familiar. "Kutsu, Intimidation." You order, and the beast under you quivers. Its red skin grows as dark as dead grass, turning an ashy black and the creature grows into twice it's size, its bony spikes growing significantly. It's larger a bit than the bulls, it's newly yellow eyes staring at them with clear intent to consume. Then its maw opens and out comes a loud piercing rumbling cacophony made of many voices screaming in agony, the air around it's jaw vibrating. Even if you are the rider, you feel goosebumps on your skin from the noise that penetrates your very being. The bulls back off and break into a run, the whole herd fleeing. You make Kutsu continue running, and with a newfound vigor it chases the herd since they are going the same way. "Don't let go of the feeling, keep the fear." The Oracle says.