Orientation and Friends

3rd POV:

"Hmm... It would work better if the animal is scared." The Oracle says, floating beside you as you practice Unity, a spell you need to complete Kalego's assignment. It's currently noon on the weekend, in a few minutes you will go to the sleepover at Lied's place. You're sitting in your room with the frog in the jar across from you, the lid a little open to let the magical beast breathe. Following the tip, you conjure your familiar Kutsu and the frog tenses up on instinct. "Unity." You cast, the feeling and specifics of the spell kicking in and activating the rather complex spell. The frog looks dazed as it stumbles a bit, but then it stops with a strange look in it's eyes. "Stand." You command, and the little brainwashed beast tries to obey, leaning against the glass to stand upright and please you. "See? If used against a startled opponent and with more mana behind it, it would be a spell made to conquer demons and gain subordinates free of risk of betrayal." The Oracle smiles. "What?! You want me to be the Demon Lord or something?!" You pipe up, and they laugh. "As long as you'll be our heir, you can be whatever you want to be." They say, then pat your head. It calms you down, and you sigh. "I'm just not used to it, you know? You keep teaching me spells of varying difficulty as if it was nothing at all..." You smile, and they smile back. You then take the frog and set it on your bedside table, then grab your bag and walk out into the living room where your mother is on the phone while dad waits to pick you up. "Yes, you have our permission." You hear mom say as you're led outside by your father. When outside, he picks you up and takes flight with a smile "I was thrilled to hear that you're having a sleepover at some friend's place. Have fun, okay?". You smile back and nod, enjoying the not so long trip to Lied's house. You are then set down in front of the normal looking house before your father leaves.

You're here on time, so you approach the door and knock. "[Y/N]!" You hear Lied's voice from the inside as he opens the door for you, grinning widely and pulling you in. "How did you know it was me?" You ask as he grabs you by the shoulders and basically drags you upstairs, excitement basically dripping off of him. "You're the last to arrive." He answers, opening the door to his room where Jazz, Kamui and Goemon are already lounging around, all excited to see you too. Jazz grins and waves at you from the bean bag he's sitting on "Ah, you really came. We were a bit skeptical since you're the shy kind, but it's great you're here!". Not paying much mind to him, Lied drags you over to the TV in the middle of the room in front of the couch "How about we start off with some console games? I got Ultra Clash Lords!". "Don't cry when I beat you, Lied." Goemon says, and the guys gather around the TV as Lied hands everyone a controller. You get settled on the couch, taking the leftmost side. Lied sits next to you, who is next to Goemon, and Jazz sits at the other end of the couch. Kamui is on a sitting pillow in front of the couch. "Alright, choose your fighters." Lied says as the selection screen comes up. You select a male demon martial artist that you find good looking, reading the abilities as others choose. Lied, Kamui and Goemon select girl fighters in skimpy clothing, no doubt dressed this way for entertainment. Not that you judge. Jazz chooses a snake demon that looks like a shaman.

Then the game ensues, and you focus more on learning the combos than spamming attacks since you want to know what you can do first. You aren't so bad, but there's no catching up to Lied who is a master at this game. Well, all games. He ends up first, Goemon second, you third, Jazz almost last and Kamui loses. "Ugh, can't you go easy on us?" You whine, nudging Lied with your elbow. "Gamer's honor before friends." He smirks, putting his own elbow on your shoulder in a show of superiority. "Oi!" you pipe up, shrugging his arm off. The atmosphere is light despite defeat, and you have noticed Jazz is paying extra attention to you as in being happy that you're comfortable. Seems like he was concerned about you being aloof since he sees you as shy. You all then sit down and Lied offers snacks which you don't take chances with and eat some quickly. "Ah, Kuromu will have a performance in two days. I couldn't get tickets as they always sell out instantly, but we can watch it remotely." Goemon speaks up, getting the attention of others. Kamui quickly speaks up, wiggling with excitement "Really?! We should watch it after class!". "You're right. She's so cute..." Lied adds, and you start slowly feeling awkward.

You can't really relate to the hype about her. You get the premise and why the demdol (demon idol) is popular, but you don't really see her as attractive. While it's healthy and normal for guys your age to like girls and fawn over performers like this, you can't. This is the same reason why you're so good with your studies, because you don't have many distractions like love and rather focus on something you understand. This also makes it awkward to listen to your friends when they discuss girls, because you instead are more attracted to guys. A guy that's affectionate can get your heart pounding just like how theirs does when they look at a cute demoness. You were skeptical of coming here because of this reason, but you're not going to run away.

"Oh, that reminds me! [Y/N], you never told us what kind of girl you like." Jazz suddenly speaks up. You tense up visibly, your cheeks tinting a little pink. "W-Well, I don't really care that much for a type, I'd say what matters to me is that my partner looks after me. Someone to hug me when I'm down or cheer me up with something good to eat." You say nervously, well aware that they are judging you. They are silent for a bit, then they all smile. "That's so cute! I'd also want a girl like that! Someone to care for me when I'm sick..." Lied says. "Yes, getting comfort in a woman's arms..." Kamui says, daydreaming. "Someone to heal my exhaustion from training..." Goemon comments, while Jazz doesn't say anything and instead just smiles along with them. You all afterwards agree to put on a horror movie, your sitting order a bit different. Goemon is on a makeshift bed on the ground in front of the couch and already dozing off, you are on the rightmost side beside Jazz, who is next to Lied and Kamui is at the other couch end. "I hope you won't wet the couch, guys." Lied mocks, and others are all smug back.

"Eek!" Kamui screams partway into the movie, clinging onto Lied next to him who is also shaking from the tense scene happening on the screen. Jazz is all stiff next to them, and then looks at you. Your eyes are droopy from feeling sleepy, your eyes on the screen as you stuff your face with some snacks. "Huh? Are you not scared?" He asks. "Not really. They are all acting rather stupid in this scene and it's ruining it for me. They shouldn't even have entered the house when they heard the growls." You say, not amused. "Well, you are right." He says and gets back to the movie. You then pass out at some point, too tired to keep your eyes on the screen. "Hey, [Y/N] and Goemon are asleep." Jazz announces, and the others perk up. "Do you know what this means?" Lied grins, already looking for a marker. "Of course..." Jazz grins back as Kamui gets excited as well. "I get to hug [Y/N]! He always looks so soft but coming up to him and hugging hum would be weird..." Jazz says, putting his arms under yours and pulling you close so your back is on his stomach. Lied and Kamui look at him quietly, completely confused. "Uh... Yeah..." Lied says awkwardly, sharing a look with Kamui before they move to the beds to look at some demdol performances while trying to not care about what's going on. The Oracle is still awake, smiling softly in their mind. They like how Jazz got fond of you. You're timid and unlike his other friends you work really hard, and he can see that despite you not really doing much you like hanging out with them. Just like a brother, he feels the need to protect you.

You wake up early the next day, and clearly nobody here except Goemon is a morning person. You all look like you pulled an all nighter as you sit around the table, sipping on your juice and eating breakfast at a slow pace. "[Y/N], you present your spells tomorrow, right? How are you doing on that?" Goemon asks, and all eyes are on you. "I did it, so no worries." You smile, and they all perk up at that. "You what?! You learned 3 spells already?" Jazz says, standing up suddenly as if he heard a rumor that Kalego smiled. "Mhm. It wasn't easy, but I did it." You say, and they all look curious. "Will you show us?" Lied asks, and you shake your head.

"You'll see tomorrow."

AN: Sorry the chapter is short, it's so it's not unnecessarily long and I can fit the following day into one chapter