The Gargoyle

3rd POV:

„Execution Cannonball?" You ask out loud after Kalego-sensei declares that will be the exam of your group in a month. "Basically dodgeball." Iruma smiles in the back of the class, but you don't pay him any mind. You are physically weak thanks to the Oracle in your body and your stamina is that of a shut in. If you want to pass, you will need magic. "Correct. There is one spell we were going to teach you since there's not always someone else to exploit." The Oracle says, leaning in from the right and in front of your face. You sit through the rest of the class until lunch, after which you follow the Oracle's instructions and start looking for a place to train. You walk through the long halls, looking out the windows in search of an ideal spot as you pass by many demons.

"Quick, look really interested in what's outside!" The Oracle hisses suddenly, and you do as they ask without question. When a small moment passes, they sigh. "That demon that just passed... Don't talk to him or look at him too long, he's trouble." They say, and you briefly peek. There's a demon with short turquoise hair parted down the middle and eyes of the same color. He has a beauty mark under his left eye and large round glasses. He has pointed ears and wears ear cuffs, has purple nails, and a pair of asymmetrical horns. The horn on the right side of his head is larger than the one on the left for some reason. The only other thing that stands out to you is the choker with a purple stone on his neck. You take note of his appearance and move on. "Why is he bad?" You ask. "There's many things wrong about that one, but his mask of innocence is misleading. He can manipulate others and relishes in their pain. You will see it too once we teach you how to read the demons around you. His name is Amy Kiriwo." The Oracle says, and you gulp at this new information.

You keep on looking for a long while, and then you notice a nice clearing outside where you can train. You make your way to the closest door, but before you can reach it you cross paths with a demon you never saw around before. The demon is a giant and muscular, towering over even the tall Kalego-sensei. He has bird-like legs from his knees down at least, and long white hair that compliments his dark purple eyes. He wears a dark tank top, light-colored pants, leather gloves, and a metal mask over his mouth and nose. He looks intimidating, almost like a torturer. "Oh! We like this one. This one is a teacher here, and despite the look he has we can feel the kindness. His name is Balam Shichiro." The Oracle says, coming up from your side and smiling before setting their head on their hands in an expression of fondness. You look at the male in a new light and speak up when passing him by. "Good afternoon, sensei." You smile, and he freezes up where he stands. He looks around himself as if to make sure you are speaking to him and not some other teacher, but when he sees no one he looks back at you. His dark purple eyes suddenly seem to brighten before they shift as he smiles under his mask, then he waves to you with his gloved hand. "Good afternoon." He says, his voice making it clearer that he's smiling, and then he walks off he has a pep in his step, obviously happy. The Oracle chuckles loudly, their lips curved upwards in a cheerful smile. "You really made his day. Since he's scary to students, he usually gets avoided. But to be greeted by one? He'll remember you." They say.

You both finally get to a nice training spot where you turn to the Oracle. "We're sure you know the basic division of spells: Verbal and Non-Verbal. Today we will teach you something that benefits off of both. We will teach you Cruel Creator, which isn't a real spell by the laws of this world, but then again magic is all about the caster's mind. Come on, let's make you a thrall." They say before coming behind you and setting their hands on your shoulders. "Aim for that flower." They command, and you aim your hands at it. "Before you cast it, you need to know what it does and make sure your mind is ready. Close your eyes." They order. You close your eyes and follow the Oracle's instructions in imagining a loyal servant made of your mana, and after several minutes you are ordered to cast the spell. "Cruel Creator." You say and feel the ground under your feet vibrate as something happens. "Keep your eyes closed for now. Focus on giving your thrall its form." They say and you keep on doing just that. "Okay, open your eyes." They say a moment later, and you do so. "Huh?!" You squeak in shock as before you is a monster made of vines twice your size, it's shape rather messy. "Not bad for try one. The worst hurdle was overcoming the fact that this isn't really a spell. Next time we will work on the form more before doing obedience training. Oh, and this spell works on anything except what has a consciousness – It doesn't work on demons or magical beasts but works on plants and the soil or even books and furniture." They explain, and you make sure to listen despite gaping at the thing in front of you move as it keeps the vines it's made of in motion. "Release the spell by not seeing it as a thrall anymore. Remember the flower it used to be." They say, and after a few moments it shrinks back to its original size and forms back into an innocent looking flower. "You're the best teacher ever." You say, looking at the bloom. The Oracle smiles at the praise, hiding their mouth behind their sleeve to hide their satisfaction.

And so, this becomes your routine for the upcoming days. You study the spell every lunch break and get better every session, but you also make sure to greet Balam-sensei whenever you meet him in the halls. It would be a lie to say you don't like the way his eyes light up and his mood lifts. Hell, he gets happy even when he sees you up ahead as he walks. "It would really ruin him if you stopped greeting him." The Oracle chuckles when they spot Balam ahead of you one day. Upon seeing you his eyes sparkle like those of a kid on their birthday, and you can't help but internally smile. "Good afternoon, Balam-sensei." You smile, adding his name to it this time. This gets his attention, and you see him briefly get really happy that you know his name, but then it drops a bit as he remembers he doesn't know your name. "Good afternoon to you too." He says, his voice gentle as he smiles back, waving at you like he always does. As you depart, you hear a crash and a quick apology, so you look. Balam-sensei has bumped into another teacher around the corner, a guy with green hair, and is now helping him back up. "I wasn't looking where I was going, I'm sorry Robin-kun." Balam says. Robin-sensei? You will have him for familiar classes! You are brought out of your thoughts when the Oracle starts laughing, full on roaring. You look at them in confusion, and they slowly calm down as you leave the scene to not look weird. "Balam-sensei only crashed into Robin-sensei because he was too busy looking at you." They say when calm enough, and you blush a bit.

Two days later you gather in your homeroom class after a botany class and sit down with your four friends. You know Jazz, Lied and Goemon, but are also joined by Kamui – The perverted owl demon who recently started hanging out with the four of you. You listen as they start talking about who they have a crush on but are brought out of your thoughts when you notice something move in the background. Glancing subtly to the front of the class, you notice Kalego-sensei getting ready for the next lesson but also see something you didn't expect at all. Balam-sensei walks into the class and goes up to Kalego-sensei and they start talking. "Oh my, they are friends." The Oracle reveals, and you hurriedly look away when Balam glances your way and notices you. As he looks back to Kalego, Oracle begins to repeat what they hear.

At the front of the class, Balam turns to Kalego upon noticing you. "That student, the one with ram horns, [H/C] hair and [E/C] eyes... What's his name?" Balam asks, and Kalego turns to look at you. "That's [Y/N], rank Dalet(4). Did he offend you or anything?" Kalego asks as you do your best to appear like you're not interested in their discussion. "No, no!" Balam starts, waving his hands in fierce disagreement "In fact, he's very polite and greets me in the hallways. I just feel guilty for not knowing his name when he always says hi to me when other students avoid me... Wait, did you say Dalet? That's really good for a first year!". "Yeah, I was surprised too... At first, that is. You see, he's a weak link – he's weaker than most and is prone to outbursts due to his irregular evil cycle. They were all brief, but he did smash a pot in botany class... But despite being weak and unpredictable, he has one thing others don't: undying determination. You see the scum he sits with? He works four times as hard as they all combined." Kalego says, and Balam listens intently to his speech "I saw him practicing a difficult looking spell during lunch break several times, slowly getting better every day. He has the drive they miss and learns spells on his own time to develop. The other Dalet in my class, Asmodeus-kun, doesn't do that. He relies on his mastery of fire magic and doesn't learn more, he spends his time running after Iruma. Same with the rest of those slackers, they do whatever and don't go for learning more outside what the classes teach. [Y/N] is always busy trying to do something when he doesn't hang out with his friends, going through his notes or learning more.". "Sounds like you're proud of him." Balam smiles, and Kalego looks at him weird for a moment, but then sighs with a small smile on his lips "I suppose I am.". "No, say it clearly." Balam teases, and Kalego groans for a short moment. "Fine. I am proud of him." He says.

Once he says that, you start violently coughing in your spot due to inhaling your own saliva from shock, and your friends look at you. "What? Everyone likes demdols(demon idols)!" Lied says, looking offended by your outburst. "Sorry!" You say, coughing more. "I am a dumbass and choked on my own spit, not your fault." You say, which calms the guy down. Jazz chuckles as he smacks your back to get you to stop coughing, and when you do you thank him. You didn't expect Kalego to say he's proud of you. You know he won't say it to your face, but it still means something to you. It does mean quite a lot coming from someone as stern as him.

When you pass by Balam-sensei the next day and say hi like you always do, he smiles back "Good afternoon to you too, [Y/N]-kun.".