𝟏𝟓

♕

CHLOE HAD THE COPY OF THE MAP you found in the pile of salt or more known as the map she betrayed you and nate for, so nate tried to persuade her that the map as well as the keys should be with you and him for the night in exchange for answers. she was hesitant, but she gave in to the idea because she didn't know what to do, leaving the puzzle solving up to you two.

you were freshening up in the bathroom while nate was attempting to solve the puzzle.

you walked out of the bathroom in a robe.

you saw nate shirtless, sitting on a couch. he had the map laid out and sam's postcards spread out on the coffee table in front of the couch.

"how's it going, nate?"

"not much." he replied, not looking up at you, eyes concentrated on the map. when he raised his head, his cheeks heated up, seeing you in just a robe.

why am i blushing? a bath robe barely exposes her body! he thought. why am i acting like i haven't been living with her for years?

he shut his eyes, shaking his head, getting rid of the lewd thoughts. lewd thoughts.

you sat beside nate on the couch. as you did so, he opened his eyes and they darted straight to your shoulder.

"what i wanted to say back there was... i'm sorry."

your silence urged him to continue.

"i should've controlled myself. i knew you were injured yet i put you in danger again."

you sighed. "you make it hard for me to be mad at you, you know that? i'm letting this slide, alright?" memories of the time you broke into the museum with sam and nate flashed into your mind. "besides, i should be the one who's sorry. i failed to protect us."

"what? no! you don't have to be so hard on yourself all the time, (name). you've done so much for me and i've never really showed any appreciation for it. i'm the one who should apologize for everything i've put you through these past ten years... and these past few days."

you blinked and snorted, "it's okay. if there's anything i've learned throughout the years, it's how to handle your reckless behavior. you're a wild card and believe me, i used to act like that too... til' i had to take care of you. i started to act mature, like sam, in order to properly take care of you and protect you. i understand your desire for adventure, even if it resulted in betrayals and a gun shot wound."

nate cringed at the last part.

"going on adventures was all i ever wanted when i was a child. this isn't the adventure i imagined, and you and me have both made mistakes, but it's okay. we're still alive. that's all that matters."