Chapter Thirty

Miriam's POV:

Ever since Mei and I have had the kiss, I feel like she's done everything in her power to avoid me.

I've been trying to talk to her about it, but she doesn't even reply to my messages.

Like she doesn't even open them!

I mean that's better then being left on read.

Right?

I tried to ignore it too at first, like I would just pretend it never happened.
I would send my occasional "good morning" messages and I would only get a "gm" back. 

The worst part is at school. I would walk up to her, and give her the daily hug. But instead of returning it, she would just tense up. It felt like I was hugging a piece of metal.
And we would just distance ourselves from each other. By "we" I mean Mei.

I don't think our other friends know. At lunch or any other classes we all have together, Mei would act the exact same. Like the kiss never existed.

But only I know it's fake. She's putting a facade over just so our friends don't suspect anything. 

I don't even know if I want to talk about the kiss or not!

If we talk about it, we might just straight up end our friendship.

The other option, is that we keep this wall between else.

Why is love so confusing?

Mei's POV:

Right now I'm just sitting at my desk studying for an upcoming quiz.

Well...trying to study.

I've been trying to focus on my notes, but my mind went to....once again....Miriam.

Ever since Miriam kissed me, my mind has been everywhere.
It never occurred to me, that I might like girls.

I would find them pretty, but I would never feel like a romantic or sexual attraction to them.
At least I don't think I have?

Since the kiss happen, my mind usually just comes back to Miriam.

I would take the time to imagine the features I never bothered to notice.

Like when her hair is in braids and she has those stubborn hair pieces that won't go back just end up framing her face perfectly.
Oh when she smiles and her braces shine in the light.
Or when she rides her skateboard and does tricks I didn't even know were possible.

Know that I've seen her differently, I think I like Miriam.

Wait....I like Miriam!

Fuck,fuck,fuck!

What would mom think?

I stand up from my desk, and I walk around my room.

Is this how everyone acts when they have a gay awakening?

I keep running into things, not paying attention to my surroundings.

I pace around my room with my hands in my hair.

"Mei-Mei? Are you okay?"

Mei: Huh?! Oh! Y-yea! I'm fine!

Ming: Oh..okay. Just know you can talk to me about anything.

Mei: Yea I know!

Ming: Okay. Love you.

Mei: Love you!

I hear her footsteps slowly fade until it's silent. I check the time, and I see that it's 10:30.

I go to sleep, not done studying, and once again with the thought of Miriam on my mind.

But before I do that I pull out my phone and send a text.

Me: Can we talk tomorrow?