Chapter 21

"Umm, that guy looks pretty tough, Midnight. Do you have a plan on how you're going to battle him?" Echo asked, as Star and Flora tended to my battle wounds, while Angel had left, and came back with a couple Oran berries she held with her tails.

"To be honest, I don't," I admitted. "That's why I think this battle is really going to come down to wits and fundamentals."

"Well, you better hope yours are better than his," Luke said, with a slight yawn, before gesturing over to a small group of Pokémon that arrived, who seemed to be officials of the school. "If I'm right, that group is looking out for potential students to scout for our League Six. So, I suggest you don't blow this and win."

"Don't worry, Midnight! You can win this, I know you can!" Star said in an encouraging tone, as she gently placed a bandage on the bridge of my snout, giving me a bright smile. I nod back, and actually feel myself grin a bit.

We then hear the Shiftry call out for the finalists, letting us know that it was time. My friends wish me good luck, and I head to the battlefield. And then, it hits me. I.. actually have friends. The feeling felt really unnatural, as I've been going the lone wolf route for so long. But now.. it's like I finally found my pack. At least, for now...

"All right!" the Shiftry says, as Jet and I take out places. "It's time for you both to give it all you've got in an all-out, no holds barred, but still fun, FINAL BATTLE!"

Jet and I nod at each other, and I take my usual stance, along with a deep breath. ...It was time to finally make my mark.

"Ready? Battle, BEGIN!"

I immediately start off with a Taunt, as I couldn't afford Jet using any sort of funny moves to take advantage over me. He gave a huff, and darted at me, his wings becoming covered in an eerie, dark purple glow, and begins to slash them at me. I do my best to dodge the Night Slash flurry, but I do get hit once, and strike back with Scratch. But, to my amazement, it looked like it didn't even faze him.

"Heh, you're gonna have to hit me a lot harder than that," he chuckled. He then soared high up into the air, about 50 feet high, before plummeting back down, fast. I decide to take his Fly attack head-on, feeling all of the force he put behind the move as he carried me across the ground. But, doing my best to ignore the pain, I take advantage of my position, and I let loose a barrage of Shadow Balls point-blank, right on top of him.

Just as I planned, the brunt force of the attack made Jet throw me off of him, and the angle was perfect. "If you want harder, that's exactly what you'll get!" I growled, before I then felt a powerful energy building up within me. When it fully charged up, I then released it towards Jet with all of my might. It was a dark, surging beam of energy, and it hit right on target. ...I had learned Dark Pulse!

After I landed back onto the ground, I waited for the smoke and dust created by the explosion of my attack to clear. Right before I thought it was over, Jet burst out of the cloud, with a sharp glint in his eyes, and he sent a giant, bright ball of energy straight at me. ...The dude knew Focus Blast. What the Distortion World?

I retaliated back with Shadow Ball, thank ARCEUS I hadn't forgotten it, and the two moves collided in the air, pushing and struggling against each other for a moment, before they then caused an even bigger explosion, the force so strong that I had to dig my claws into the ground to keep myself from being literally blown away. It was until a little bit after that I had noticed more Pokémon had gathered around, oohing and aahing at what was unfolding, along with tons of cheering.

I then focused back on my battle. Jet was standing still all the way across from me, looking pretty tired. I couldn't lie, I was feeling tired as well. But, I had to end this. So, I began running at him, not at full speed, but fast enough to get Jet's attention. And it worked. Jet saw me running towards him, and with a smirk, he began flying towards me, streamlined and picking up speed. The closer we came, the faster we went. And, when I saw that purple, eerie glow again, I knew what I had to do.

Right as he sliced his wing at me, I slid right under it, barely dodging the Night Slash, and turning onto my back as I did. And, with all of the rest of the energy I could muster up, I shot a Dark Pulse, straight at his underbelly. The move propelled him into the air, higher and higher, before the beam suddenly began to curve and arc, and sent him right back down into the ground.

I walked towards him, but still stayed a good distance away, just in case he still had something left in him. ...But, when the dust cleared, and I saw the dazed expression on his face, I knew it was over.

"Jet the Honchkrow is unable to continue! Which means..," the Shiftry announced, gesturing one of his large leaf fans towards me, "Midnight the Zorua is our tournament champion!"

All of the Pokémon whooped and cheered. Even Jaz the Mightyena, along with the other Pokémon who competed lifted me up in the air, chanting my name. But, Star of course was the loudest, yipping and squealing my name with pure joy, and the biggest smile on her face. It felt as though I had won the biggest championship of my life, which was silly of course, as it really was just a friendly, "first week of school" activity.

But, I don't think I've ever felt better in my entire life than at that moment.

[Thank you once again to all of my readers, I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and I can't wait for you to read the future entries. Because this story isn't even halfway over. <3]