Chapter 9

Sorry for these waits in between updates. Sometimes I need a break from writing to get my thoughts together and my motivation back up again. Nonetheless, enjoy, and thanks for the support!

Eventually, the teacher came back. They were a Shiftry, a Grass and Dark type, the Wicked Pokemon. After getting everyone rounded up, he led us all out of the halls, and out to the battlefields.
"All right! You kids ready to have some burning-hot battles?" he shouted, pumping his leaf fan into the air.
"YEAH!" the class shouted back.
"All right then! Let's take a look-see here at the bracket." Jet walked over and handed him the paper.
While the teacher began to call out names for presence, the Purrloin from earlier came over to me.
"Wow, you're battling, too, right? But, aren't you new here? What if you lose? That wouldn't be good on your reputation. What if-"
"Name's Midnight," I interrupted. I don't know where that came from. Either, I was trying to open up again, or I was just so tired of her talking SO MUCH.
"Oh. My name's Jinx..," she replied, looking a little shocked for some reason.
"Cool name. And, by the way, I'm not going to lose." The teacher called my name, and I called, "Here." Then, he told all of us who were battling to come over, and I went, leaving Jinx who was looking kind of lost.
"All right! To recap, we're going to have a little tournament! Battle #1: Jet the Honchkrow and Shard the Weavile, Battle #2: Jaz the Mightyena and Midnight the Zorua, Battle #3: Beat the Scrafty and Zane the Accelgor, and finally, Battle #4: Kain the Pawniard and Solana the Absol. Head to your spots on the battlefields!"
So, all of us headed to our places. I took one side of the battlefield I was on, and the Mightyena named Jaz took the other. We looked at each other, and nodded, signifying that there would be no hard feelings for whoever won.
I looked in the center of the four battlefields, and saw the Shiftry with a leaf fan raised in the air. I guess he was refereeing all four of the battles. Impressive, not gonna lie.
"Commence battles!" the Shiftry shouted, swiping his leaf fan down.
Jaz then ran at me, and I stay on the balls of my paws, ready. Jax lunged at me, head down, going for a Take Down. I waited, one Naganadel, two Naganadel, and sidestepped his attack, making him stumble. With an opening, I shot a Shadow Ball, and got a direct hit. Jaz coughed, but shook it off.
"Nice move," he said, giving me a wild look.
"I get that a lot," I replied giving him the same look.
His look got even sharper, and I figured out what he was doing. I Taunted him, stopping him from using Leer. He growled, and jumped towards me, with his claws out, covered in darkness. Quickly, I rolled under him, dodging the swipe of his Shadow Claw. Then, I striked him a few times in the back with Fury Swipes. He snarled, and whirled around so quickly that I could barely figure out what to do next. He used Take Down, and hit me square in the chest, knocking me back a few feet. I gagged, trying to catch my breath and get back up, but Jaz ran up on me quickly. He Crunched down on my tail, and I cried out in pain and shock. He threw me up into the air, jumped, and struck me back down with Shadow Claw. My body slammed into the ground, and I coughed profusely. But, I... Couldn't back down. I couldn't lose. Shakily, I got back up on my feet.
"Huh. You're a tough one. I respect that," Jaz said, panting a little. "But, you're gonna have to give up sometime."
Give. Up? Never. I. Could nev-
"Come on, Midnight! I know you can do it!" someone called. A, very familiar voice. I looked toward the voice, and there was Star, with her friends, cheering for me.
"Don't give up! You're the BEST!" Star cried out.
I smiled, and sighed, shaking my head. "Gosh. She's making this look like this is the last battle of my life or something," I thought to myself. I was still smiling.
I shook myself off, and felt more invigorated then before. I was NOT losing this. With no hesitation, I rapid-fired Shadow Balls at Jaz. He tried to dodge them, but he was so caught off-guard that he got hit by almost all of them.
The smoke cleared, and he ran full tilt at me, his claws becoming covered in shadows again. I ran as well. He swiped at me with Shadow Claw, and it hit me, but at an angle to where I was able to roll off of it. Using the pain, I used Revenge, striking him hard in the face. The force made him slide back, and his front legs buckled. While he was struggling to stand back up, I jumped back and up, and used one last Shadow Ball at full power, hoping to end it. I noticed that Jaz was staring at it in horror for some reason. Then, I noticed the Shadow Ball was 5x bigger than me. Oh, yeah. It was over for him. With fervor, I threw the attack right at him.
Alright, I'm gonna be honest. When the Shadow Ball hit him, which caused, like, a MAJOR explosion, I felt a little sorry.
When, I landed back down, I ran over to where Jaz had gotten hit. He was lying on the ground, completely out of it.
"Good... b-battle..," he mumbled, dazed, and passed out. Fainted.