Chapter 17

"Wasn't it amazing how Lunala herself came here? I knew it was such a good idea for us to move here!" my Mom said, while she was preparing some dinner in our kitchen.
"Yeah, it was really cool," I agreed, my stomach rumbling from the smells wafting throughout the house.
"So, how'd you enjoy your first day back, Midnight?" my Mom asked, as she walked in our living room and sat our plates down. Fried Magikarp fillets. My favorite.
"It was actually pretty good," I answered. "I didn't get into any trouble, like I promised." I started to dig vigorously into my dinner.
"Well, that's really good," she replied, with a tiny smile. "Did you make any friends?"
"Um.. Yeah. I guess so," I answered, now feeling nervous.
"How many?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.
Oh no. "Seve..," I mumbled.
"What was that?" she asked, raising her eyebrow even higher.
"Seven."
". . ."
Oh. Well, never mi-
"OH MY ARCEUS, MIDNIGHT, SEVEN NEW FRIENDS!? I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!" she squealed, moving over extremely quickly to pull me into a Bewear hug.
"M-mom.. Too.. Tight," I squeaked.
"My goodness, Midnight, how did this all happen?" she said, setting me back down.
I tried to catch my breath. "I don't know," I replied after several seconds. "It just.. Happened. The more the day progressed on, the more Pokemon I seemed to just run into. First, Star's other 2 friends, then a couple in my Homeroom, another 2 at lunch, and I guess Miss Joy who runs the café that's between here and the school."
"The Audino?" my mom asked, thoughtfully. "I heard that café she runs is fairly popular, and has great smelling, and tasting, snacks."
"What you heard is very much true," I assured her, remembering the delicious smells and tastes.
"So, Midnight," my Mom said, pulling me out of my daydream.
"Yeah, Mom?"
"About that Eevee..."
"Star? What about her?" I asked, not exactly liking where this was going.
"Are you two..?" my Mom started to ask, raising her brow playfully.
Freaking knew it.
"N-no, Mom!" It's nothing like that!" I exclaimed, feeling my face grow hot.
"Okay, Midnight. I believe you," she replied, giving me a look that clearly showed she DIDN'T.
And, well, at this point, I didn't know if I believed myself.

---

"So, Midnight, what do you wanna do today?" Star asked, as we sat on the porch of my house.
Apparently, the staff at the school needed to have a very important meeting, so, there was no school for the students the next day.
"I don't know. I would go ask Quill for a battle, but, of course, he's not here. So, I'm kind of clueless." It was only the 2 of us, since Angel and Flora actually happened to live in the next town over. Stoneblock, if I recall correctly.
"How about we go and just hang out at Miss Joy's café?" Star suggested.
"You mean, just the two of us? Like... A date?" I seriously don't know WHAT the heck made me say that.
"Hm, yeah, like a date! Will you go on a date with me, Midnight?" Star asked, giving me Baby-Doll Eyes.
"S-sure, why not?" I stammered, my voice kind of high. The tips of my ears were scorching now.
"Yay! Come on, then!" she said, jumping down from the porch. "I'll race you there!"

So, Star and I headed out of the village and down the road towards Miss Joy's café. About halfway there, Star suddenly stopped hard, and I nearly ran into her.
"Huh? What's the problem, Star? Why'd you stop?" I asked, confused. Then, I looked out in front of her, and saw two faces that I was really not in the mood to see. Scourge the Golbat, and his Sableye partner in crime.
"You again!" Scourge snarled in my direction. "You humiliated me, and ruined my reputation. I should be tearing you limb from limb right now, but, I think I'll let my buddy Scavenger here get the first licks in."
"Yeah, it's time you learned your place!" Sableye growled, taking a battling stance.
"Come on, can't we just forget about all of this, and be friends?" Star calmly asked. "It's not that big of a deal is it?"
"Not that big of a deal!?" Scourge snapped. "That LOSER ruined my reputation! And now, it's time for him to pay!"
"So, get out of the way, weirdo!" Scavenger snarled, pushing Star to the ground. She yelped out in shock.
"DON'T YOU DARE PUT YOUR HANDS ON HER," I roared.
I don't know what happened next. I think I blacked out. All I remember was rushing Scavenger and Scourge at full tilt, and then, my vision completely blurred. A few minutes later, I found myself on my back... with Scourge and Scavenger standing over me.
"Heh," Scavenger panted. "Not so smart and coordinated when you're throwing a crazed tantrum."
"I think he broke my tooth!" Scourge whined. "Now I'm REALLY going to end you!"
I was completely out of energy for some reason, so all I could do was brace for their assault. But, all of a sudden, Scavenger roared out in pain, getting propelled out of my vision. A second later, so did a shocked and confused looking Scourge. It took me a minute to realize they had both been hit by attacks. Fairly strong ones. I got up and looked around for the Pokemon responsible for saving my rear end. And, the only Pokemon I saw, standing not too far away, mysteriously quiet, was Star.

"St-Star..?" I asked, slowly walking towards her. "D-did you..?"
"I couldn't let them hurt you..," Star said, with a blank face.
"Star, how did you..?" I began, but, I still couldn't put my words together.
"I-I didn't want to," Star whispered, her expression slowly turning sad. "But, I just couldn't..." Suddenly, she began to cry.
At that point, I seriously didn't know what to say. So.., I just hugged her tightly, and her head rested on my shoulder. I kept holding her until she stopped crying. In that period of time, I finally got my words together.
"Okay, Star, you have to talk to me. Did you attack Scavenger and Scourge?"
A nod.
"So, do you actually know how to battle?"
Another nod.
"Why did you lie to me?"
"It's because I hate battling. I mean, I don't hate it. But, I really don't like fighting others. I never did. But, my Dad insisted I learn.
And, I already saw how much you loved battling. If I told you... I can't even imagine fighting you, Midnight. I like you too much..." She rested her head on my shoulder.
"W-well, you didn't have to lie to me. If you didn't ever wanna battle, I'd be totally fine with that. I honestly can't imagine fighting you either. You're so incredibly nice. I like you just the way you are," I assured her, nuzzling her. Where the heck did this tenderness of mine come from? But, I wasn't complaining this time.
Star giggled, and gave me a kiss on the nose. "Thank you, Midnight. I'm really happy that you're not mad at me."
"N-no problem," I said, blushing from the intimacy. "I could never be mad at you."
"Um, could this still be our little secret?" Star said, looking down at the ground, awkardly.
"Of course. My mouth is sealed," I assured her.
"Thank you again," Star said, nuzzling me. "Well, what are we waiting here for?" she asked, becoming her energetic, peppy self again. "We still have our date!"
"Wait a minute, I have one more question," I interrupted, as she began to skip ahead.
"Yes, Midnight?" she replied, looking back.
"What moves did you use?"
"Shadow Ball and Swift," she answered, with a tiny smile. She then began to skip ahead again.
"Hmm, not bad," I thought to myself. Then, I ran to catch up with her.