Chapter 23

"Ok, class, now listen closely. This will be important for your first test..."

My ears flicked curiously as I listened to one of my teachers go on about today's lesson. Her name was Ms. Sakuya, and she was a Froslass. If I'm honest, she was probably the prettiest teacher that I had, and it was hard to not listen to her ramble on about whatever she was teaching us. As for what she taught, it was about the history of our world. ... Well, basic history. We weren't doing a full-fledged dive back to when and how Pokemon first even came into existence or anything like that. Besides, I'm not sure there are any Pokemon alive that don't already know that...

"Midnight? Would you like to assist me with this part of the lesson?"

My fur stood on end, as I'd suddenly hear her request me, and I realized I was zoning out for a moment. I locked eyes with her, but fortunately, her expression wasn't one of disappointment. It seemed as though she just wanted my help with what she was about to go over next. Quietly exhaling a breath of relief, I got up from my seat, and walked up to the front. As expected, I'd feel countless eyes trailing me. When I made it to the front, Ms. Sakuya regarded me with a sweet smile.

"Now, Midnight, now that you're up here, I want you to look at the rest of your classmates. And after that, I want you to tell me the similarities between everyone here, even including me."

I'd tilt my head in confusion, and looked at my class. To be honest, I was kind of getting my own bit of revenge as I stared pretty intensely at them. But, as for similarities, there weren't really any.

"Eh, there aren't really any similarities, Miss," I responded, as I looked back at her warily, wondering if she was going to correct me, but, she just nodded.

"It's quite interesting, isn't it? All of us here, even if a few of us happen to be the same species, we have barely anything in common. Yet, it's a wonder that there's one Pokemon that is made up of us all. A Pokemon, that somehow also happens to be every single Pokemon. Today, we refer to this Pokemon as Mew."

She then proceeded to go on about this mysterious Pokemon and the origins of them. Way back then, Mew used to live happily among the rest of their kind. Having tons of fun and making the most of every day. But, certain issues started, wars began. Which was the complete opposite of what Mew wanted. And, one day, Mew had disappeared.

Apparently, Pokemon kind felt as though a huge, important part of themselves was lost. So, the turmoil ended, and life returned to being a bit more peaceful. But, the fun, and happy-go-lucky times were gone. Mew never returned, but someday, the world hopes that they will eventually return. It was a lesson, about learning to accept our differences, and trying to live positively.

When the class ended, I came out of it, with a sort of enhanced perspective. Maybe, that type of story is why Star is always so happy and loving..?

---

I'd eventually make it back home with Star after the school day ended, and we stood in front of my house, about to say our goodbyes. But, before that, my Mom suddenly came out the door, startling the Distortion World out of me.

"Oh, hello, you two, how was your day?" she asked, while shooting me sly glances. Arceus, why did she have to embarrass me at every opportunity...

"It was wonderful as always, Miss Grace! How was your day?" Star asked, being her usual sweet and peppy self.

"Oh, it was fine, nothing too special. Oh! I did just finish whipping up a few snacks. Would you like to come in and try some, Star?"

Oh, Arceus, why..?

"I'd love to! Hehe, come on, Midnight!" Star yipped, as she made her way inside. "Thank you very much, Miss Grace!"

My fur still standing on end, I just looked at my mom with an exasperated look. But, she just kept smugly grinning.

"Come, Nighty, I'm sure you don't wanna let Star have to eat all the food by herself," she said, as she walked inside, softly laughing.

"M-Mom! You better not call me that around her!" I hissed at her, and hurried inside.

---

"Oh, this is really good! I never thought Pokepuffs could be made savory like this!" Star said, as she finished off the sweet and spicy treats my mom made. She wasn't wrong, they were pretty delicious. We all sat at the food mat, each taking part in our own helpings.

"Aww, thank you, Star. I've started experimenting a bit more with my cooking, and I'm glad to hear that it's coming out well," my Mom replied. When we finished, she'd grab our dishes and bring them to the kitchen to be washed. As Star and I sat alone, she'd suddenly begin speaking to me, with a dazzle in her eyes. Oh, boy...

"I just realized, Midnight, that you haven't met my Dad yet! Remember when Quill mentioned that he'd be temporarily watching over the village?"

"Oh. I do remember that. ... Wait, do you, uh, want me to meet him..?" I asked, the thought already making me feel a bit awkward. My Mom was nice and all, but that definitely didn't go for a lot of other parents. Then again, Star's mom was really nice, too, so maybe her father was the same way..?

"Well, only if you're fine with that! It would be really nice if he could see how nice and strong of a Pokemon you are, though..," Star said, looking away with a shy smile.

Well, damn. Star could really feed my ego if she purposely wanted to. I still wasn't really gung-ho about it, but I was curious as to how her father was like, if I was being honest.

"...Sure, why not?"

"Really? Okay! But, let's make sure your Mom knows we're heading over there before we do."

So, after letting my Mom know we'd be heading over to Star's place so that I could meet her father, we left my home and went on our way to hers. We eventually made it to her front door, and she'd knock a few times. After a couple minutes of waiting, the door would open. To reveal a giant male Umbreon. My fur bristled as soon as I looked into the guy's eyes, which were sharp and bright. Talk about intimidating...

"Hi, Dada! I want you to meet my friend, Midnight! He also lives here, and goes to Sunrise with me!" Star introduced me, with a bright smile.

"It's, um, nice to meet you, sir," I simply said.

"Star..," the Umbreon replied, with a deep voice. He then focused on me, and his eyes widened and became even sharper. He stared daggers at me for about a whole minute.. and before I knew it, I felt myself getting sent flying by a strong blast, and my vision went dark...