Vol. 1, Chapter 3 - Newbie's Introduction

(Part 1

(Ayanokoji POV)

Class just ended for the day, and everyone begins to wind down. Karma invited me to Keyaki Mall because he wanted to shop for essentials. I actually needed to buy some groceries as well, so it works out.

Kei and I plan to have another indoor date, and I want to cook her dinner. Before we head out though, I still have my appointment with Horikita.

She then got up and spoke to me. "Ayanokoji-kun, if you don't mind?"

I turned to Karma and asked him to wait for me by the entrance. He says he'll stay and wait in the classroom instead, going back to reading his book. I was curious as to what he was reading, so I took a peek at the cover.

'Demons by Fyodor Dostoevsky'

Interesting. Perhaps he and Horikita weren't so different afterall. Well, tastes in books I mean. Gotta say, the title suited him well.

"You thought of something rude didn't you?" Karma spoke up, noticing me eyeing his book.

"Well it's rather ironic I must say." I replied.

He chuckled at my response. True enough though. Our generation was known as the demonic 4th generation. I can't help but feel like he's directing the title of the book at me.

"Anyway I have to go." I told him.

He nodded in response, while sipping on his strawberry milk. How many of those does he have? I left the room with Horikita. She asked me to accompany her. I obliged, because I want to know how she'll handle it, and made our way to the student council room.

"About our agreement, I can't guarantee that Nagumo senpai would accept me."

"Don't worry. Like I said, Nagumo's not the type to turn someone down. Besides, your his senpai's younger sister. He won't let this opportunity slip by."

"You did say that."

At the time when Manabu-senpai had graduated, Horikita was pretty
emotional, but she still seemed to remember what was said. Although
Nagumo had said that all newcomers were welcome, of course it wouldn't be
only that. The sister of Horikita Manabu that would follow him wherever he
went. He wouldn't ignore such a precious existence.

"The reason why you wanted me to join the student council... It was so I could spy on President Nagumo, but actually, that's not the only reason, right?"

Horikita was asking me what she should do after joining.

"I think you already slightly noticed. What your brother thinks is completely different from what Nagumo thinks. It's because he values tradition that he thinks Nagumo's reforms are wrong. He said it to me right before he left. The class is a community that should share the same fate. He didn't want the framework to be changed."

"What the student council is doing now, that's certainly the complete
opposite."

"But I'm not going to judge who's right and who's wrong. Now, I just want
to see Nagumo's reforms."

That's right; there was nothing wrong with Horikita-senpai's or Nagumo's
way of thinking.

"So that's why you won't give me specific instructions?"

"Mhm."

"Then why do you need me to join, if the only thing you want is to see
Nagumo's reforms? There's no need for me to monitor the student council at all, then!"

"If Nagumo is going in the wrong direction, there's a need to stop him."

And then, it shouldn't be me who would do that, but rather, Horikita
Manabu's sister, Horikita Suzune.