Vol. 4, Chapter 2 - Declaration Of War

Part 1

(Ayanokoji POV)

After the proposal made by Tsukishiro, Karma and I explained what we could to Chabashira-sensei. Knowing Tsukishiro, there was definitely more to this exam than just what he let on. In times like these, intel gathering, and surveillance would be our greatest assets.

After explaining things to her, we went home, and Karma made a quick stop by my room. He told me his plan for Tsukishiro. It was a bit more grandiose than I expected, but it may just prove to be effective should we play our cards right.

"And that's about it." He said.

"I see. You're certainly stepping up your game."

"Hey, if he's coming after my livelihood, I'll respond with and even greater dose of his own medicine. I'm not messing around here."

"You do have a knack for this sort of thing. The way I see it, the only real issue now is making sure that we evade all the 1st and 3rd years. We can't really come up with a plan just yet, not without knowing what the full contents of the exam would be about."

There were too many unknowns, and right now we were pretty much surrounded on all sides. On top of that, if the third years are involved, the biggest problem right now would be their unparalleled access to exam information thanks to a certain someone.

"You have a point. When do you think they'll explain the additional rules?"

"If it's anything like the previous exams, I'd say they'll explain more of the rules shortly before the exam begins."

"Right, but that's not our main concern, is it?"

"No. If the third years are our enemies, then their biggest advantage would be the information network of Nagumo. Since he's the Student Council President, he has access to classified exam information before any of us."

Karma rubbed his chin, and thought for a moment.

"Don't we already have someone on the inside working for the Student Council?"

"Only the Student Council President, and whoever he chooses can see the exam details. I highly doubt Horikita would know anything about the upcoming island exam other than what Chabashira-sensei told us, especially since she's from an enemy year."

Karma hummed and leaned back. "What a drag. I could probably just have Ritsu hack in to the school system. She did hack in to a government-owned space station, however that's only if those computers are connected to the internet."

Ritsu was an AI developed by the government in order to join Karma's class in killing their target. If she was able to hack in to a highly secured space station, then something like this should be a piece of cake.

"Can you have her do it now?"

"Hmm... You know, it'll all be revealed to us anyway. I'd say we not ruin the suspense of not knowing. Besides, I'm not the only assassin that she's helping out."

I fail to see how this would provide us an edge, but I guess he has a point. His other cohorts would probably need Ritsu's assistance as well.

"For now, let's just relax. Since we'll be teamed up anyway, we don't need to worry about groups."

Actually, it's grouping with you that I'm worried about.

"Never go near my sleeping area."

He turned to me with a bright smile.

"Don't worry. I'll be on my best behavior, partner."

Stop saying that! You do not instill confidence in me in the slightest!