Vol. 5, Chapter 5 - Chess Time Part 2 | Sowing Time

Part 1

(Ayanokoji POV)

Some time after my match with the first year, Hiyashi, ended, I spectated the matches of the other contestants. I noticed three in particular, who stood out from the rest in terms of skill: Horikita, Kanzaki, and Hashimoto.

I was already aware with Hashimoto, since he was Class A's representative during the Commanding Towers exam, and I was the one, who taught Horikita personally. However, I was not expecting Kanzaki to be a pretty good player, let alone even play chess.

20 minutes since my match passed, and the first round of the chess tournament ended. We were called over to our respective seats, and in front of me was none other than Vice President Kiriyama of Class 3-B.

As he took his seat, he looked at me warily, before giving his form of greeting.

"So you're my opponent, huh?"

"It would appear so." I replied.

"What's your game?"

"Excuse me?" I asked for a clarification.

"Obviously you have something planned." He said, crossing his arms. "Not just for this chess tournament, but for the rest of the exam."

The plan isn't quite as concrete as there are still some things we needed to confirm before we could proceed. Still, I didn't want to give anything away.

"If you're talking about this chess tournament, you're overthinking things. I'll just play the game as is intended. If I lose, I lose. That's it."

He raised an eyebrow at me and asked. "That's it? What do you mean 'that's it'?"

"It's as I said. It's not like I'll know what moves you're going to make. I'll only find out once our match starts."

"Well I... suppose you have a point. But what about the rest of the exam?"

"I'm afraid I can't give anything away to our enemy."

He narrows his gaze at me. "Not like I expected you to just give away you're plan. Still, you've been doing quite fine for yourselves, all things considered."

"Karma's not one to lose, and neither of us are leaving this school. That much you can count on."

"Well you've certainly proven yourselves to be worthy adversaries so far, but do you honestly think that you could take on Nagumo? Even Horikita-senpai was troubled by him."

He's probably referring to the many onslaughts of attacks thrown at Manabu by Nagumo himself. The most recent one being from last year's Mixed Training Camp, where he had a near-iron clad strategy. He may not have succeeded in expelling Tachibana, but the blow he dealt to Manabu was not a small price to pay.

"For someone, who wants to take down Nagumo so bad, you sure seem content at following his orders."

"....What do you mean?"

"I understand wanting the Class Transfer Tickets as a reason for participating in our expulsion, but even before this, you didn't seem to have any qualms with going through with his plans."

He remains quiet for a second, before giving me an answer. "Well... despite my desire to overthrow him, he's still very much the Student Council President. Of course I have to comply to some of his requests, even if they're absurd."

"That's not my point, Kiriyama-senpai."

"What do you-"

Just as he was about to ask, Hoshinomiya-sensei walked over to our table, cutting him off mid-sentence.