Family 💜

A/N: Hi darlings, Happy Mother's Day! 

💝Please VOTE & COMMENT💝

"Guess who's here!" At hearing the honey-sweet voice of his new girlfriend, Jace's head snapped around to look at her.

His face broke out into a toothy grin and eyes shined brightly when he saw her cradling baby Ruby in one of her arms whilst holding Abigail's hand with the other, and Jackson was standing beside her.

Jackson walked over to and gave Jace a half-hearted hug but after that initial display of affection, he went on to sit at the edge of the bed, going completely silent.

Upon seeing Jace, Abigail let go of Riele's hand and ran over to her papa, squealing happily. "Papa!"

"Hey, sweetheart" Jace smiled widely, extending his good arm as Abigail reached out and leapt up, thin little hands locking around her guardian's neck and burying her face in his shoulder.

"Missed you, papa" Abigail was wracked with tiny sobs, her narrow chest shaking, tears pouring out and wetting her papa's t-shirt.

In the meanwhile, Mrs. Barnes had pushed Alex's wheelchair near Jace's bed so he could also climb onto the bed. Alex's arms circled Jace's neck, clinging with silent desperation.

Jace could only hold them close, sensing that these tears were long overdue and perhaps even necessary. That didn't stop the guilt that choked him as his niece, who he considers as his own daughter, wept her heart out against his chest.

When Abigail tried to climb onto his chest, Jace grimaced in pain causing her to pull back and look up at him.

"Papa sad?" Her small hand patted his cheek, more tears spilling from her eyes.

Schooling his expression, Jace smiled faintly, looking into her brilliant eyes that seemed to peer into his soul. He hated the shadow of fear he saw there, even as the little girl's love warmed him.

"No, sweetheart, I am very happy we are here and together," Jace said past the emotion welling in his throat. "I love you, Abi"

A brilliant smile lit her face. "I love you too, papa!" She said, settling her head on his shoulder once again.

"Me too, papa" Alex mirrored his twin sister's actions as he snuggled into Jace's side.

His arm tightened of its own accord around the twins as he thought how close he had come to never having the only thing in his life worth anything. His family.

Leaning forward, Jace kissed Abigail and then Alex on their foreheads as they snuggled closer to him. Hugging his kids, Jace was content to stay that way for several long moments as Riele and the others watched the whole exchange with wide grins on their faces.

After a while, the twins had fallen asleep so Mr. and Mrs. Barnes offered to carry them home. Riele then handed Ruby over to him.

Jace placed a tender kiss on her forehead and cradled her against his chest, protectively when the baby reached out her tiny hand and wrapped it around his finger. "Hello, my little Angel, daddy missed you so much baby" He cooed lovingly.

Ruby looked up into his eyes and said, "Dada!"

Jace stared at his daughter, mouth dry and unblinking, and shock covering his body like a blanket. It was the first time he heard her speak.

"Did she just...." He looked around the room to see more shocked and excited faces as Owen pulled out his phone to record this precious moment.

Riele nodded her head. "That was her first word, Jace" She confirmed.