177 ~ Battle in the Corridors

Emma collapsed into a seat in the common room after a long shift in the hospital wing, heaving a sigh. Venus looked up from her textbook, where she'd been viciously underlining important information, her blue eyes meeting Emma's.

"That rough, huh?"

Emma managed a smile. "I'm tired as hell, V."

"I can imagine." The blonde went back to underlining, her tongue sticking out from between her lips in concentration.

Emma reached into her bag and pulled out one of her own textbooks. She flipped it open to a random page and began to read. She had so much homework to do, but right now all she could think about was turning her brain off. It was progressively becoming overfull of information.

The words on the page before her swam around her head, not fully stringing together. Though she read the same passage several times, she couldn't make sense of it.

Finally, she was granted a distraction from her efforts as Harry burst through the portrait hole.

"What does Dumbledore want?" Hermione said at once. "Harry, are you okay?" she added anxiously.

"I'm fine," said Harry shortly, racing past them. He dashed up the stairs, leaving his friends staring after him, then glancing confusedly at one another. Minutes later, he sped back down the stairs and into the common room, skidding to a halt where Ron and Hermione sat, looking stunned. Emma snapped her book shut and crossed the room towards them, Venus at her heels.

"I haven't got much time," Harry panted, "Dumbledore thinks I'm getting my Invisibility Cloak. Listen . . . "

Quickly he told them where he was going, and why. In short, Dumbledore had found a Horcrux of Voldemort's, and he wanted Harry to come with him to retrieve it. Harry did not pause either for Hermione's gasps of horror or for Ron's hasty questions, nor did he spare any sort of detailed explanation.

". . . so you see what this means?" Harry finished at a gallop. "Dumbledore won't be here tonight, so Malfoy's going to have another clear shot at whatever he's up to. No, listen to me!" he hissed angrily, as all four of them showed every sign of interrupting. "I know it was Malfoy celebrating in the Room of Requirement. Here --" He shoved the Marauder's Map into Hermione's hand. "You've got to watch him and you've got to watch Snape, too. Use anyone else who you can rustle up from the DA. Hermione, those contact Galleons will still work, right? Dumbledore says he's put extra protection in the school, but if Snape's involved, he'll know what Dumbledore's protection is, and how to avoid it -- but he won't be expecting you lot to be on the watch, will he?"

"Harry --" began Hermione, her eyes huge with fear.

"I haven't got time to argue," said Harry curtly. "Take this as well --" He thrust the socks into Ron's hands.

"Thanks," said Ron. "Er -- why do I need socks?"

"You need what's wrapped in them, it's the Felix Felicis. Share it between yourselves and Ginny too. Say goodbye to her from me. Emma, if you still have yours, you and Venus take it and share it with whoever you want to keep safe. I'd better go, Dumbledore's waiting --"

"No!" said Hermione, as Ron unwrapped the tiny little bottle of golden potion, looking awestruck. "We don't want it, you take it, who knows what you're going to be facing?"

"I'Il be fine, I'll be with Dumbledore," said Harry. "I want to know you lot are okay . . . don't look like that, Hermione, I'll see you later"

And he was off, hurrying back through the portrait hole towards the Entrance Hall.

"Um... okay..." Emma mumbled, glancing at her sister. Venus looked like she was trying to keep her face neutral, but Emma could see the edge of fear in her eyes. Tonight would not be a good night.