13 ~ Detention

McGonagall lead them to her office where Draco and Neville stood. Before seeing Neville, Emma had never thought to wonder who the fifth person was. She hadn't expected Neville, not that she had expected anyone really. But Neville?

"I am very disappointed in all of you. No student has the right to be out of bed at night." McGonagall said, anger dripping off every word.

"Harry! I was trying to warn you! I heard Malfoy say he was going to head you off!" Neville said.

"Mr. Longbottom." McGonagall glared, "All of you will receive detention. And fifty points will be taken."

"Fifty?" Harry asked in disbelief.

"From each of you." McGonagall said.

Emma's jaw dropped. Fifty each? That was 200 points from Gryffindor! Draco smirked, but Emma could tell he was at least a little upset at losing points for Slytherin.

McGonagall sent them back to their dormitories shame-faced and angry.

Emma got right into her bed without changing or brushing her teeth. She was just too embarrassed at losing that many points to do anything.

Venus must have noticed Emma's attitude because she didn't ask questions. Emma closed her eyes and dreamed of her housemates ignoring her and giving her the evil eye wherever she went.

The next morning, her dreams came true. The Gryffindors were so angry at Emma, Harry, Hermione, and Neville, that they didn't even bother insulting them. The four of them sat with Venus at the end of the table. There was a very large gap in between them and the other Gryffindors.

Surprisingly, the Slytherins were being a lot nicer. It was probably because Gryffindor was now in fourth place in the house cup. Slytherins would walk up and congratulate them. It angered Emma that they were being such bad sports about it all. Even the Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws were angry at them because Slytherin was now in the lead. No one wanted Slytherin to win the house cup, and Gryffindor's losing points had given up their hope of someone else winning for once.

It was May now, and exams were on the way. Hermione quite liked the ignoring because she didn't have distractions for studying.

Emma didn't like it, she sat in the dormitory with Venus, wishing they hadn't gotten caught.

"Emma," Venus said.

"Yeah?" She answered.

"I don't think we celebrated your birthday." Venus said.

Emma blushed, in truth it had never crossed her mind to celebrate. Normally her mum just gave her a small gift and that was it. Emma hadn't expected anyone to ask about her birthday either.

"I don't really celebrate." Emma said.

"Oh." Venus said, "I don't either. I don't like all the attention."

Suddenly an owl flew into the dormitory and dropped a letter in front of Emma.

Your detention will be held this Saturday at eight o'clock. Meet in the entry hall.

Minerva McGonagall

"What is it?" Venus asked.

"My detention. I don't get why we get in trouble for being out after dark yet for detention we are going out after dark!" Emma said.

"Yeah, I guess that is pretty strange." Venus said, frowning.

On Saturday at approximately 7:45, Emma went down to the Entry Hall with Harry, Hermione, and Neville.

Draco appeared a few minutes later, and Mr. Filch lead them outside. Emma didn't know where they were headed until she saw Hagrid standing outside his hut with a crossbow in hand.

When they stopped in front of Hagrid, Mr. Filch said, "You'll be serving your detention with Hagrid tonight. He's got a little job for you in the dark forest."

"The forest? We can't go in there! Students aren't allowed!" Draco said, his eyes widening ever so slightly.

Filch grinned evilly at him.

"Besides, there are-" Draco stopped as a piercing howl broke through the forest, "-werewolves."

"Oh, there are a lot more than wolves in those trees lad." Filch said, "nighty night."