9 ~ A Present from Who?

On Christmas morning Emma got out of bed and instantly ran to the sitting room. There was a Christmas Tree standing in the corner of the room, presents all around it. Emma loved Christmas, it was almost as good as Hogwarts. She picked up a small present in green paper. It was from Venus. Emma tore the paper off gently because she thought it was pretty and didn't want to rip it.

Inside was a white box that she opened carefully incase the present was breakable. Emma gasped when she saw the necklace inside. It was a silver sun on a small linked chain. The sun had curved rays, like squiggly lines. Emma slipped the necklace over her head and it rested comfortably below her collarbone.

After admiring it for a while longer, Emma moved on to the other presents. She received a box of Zonkos jokes from Fred and George. A red sweater with an 'E' on it from Mrs. Weasley, the twins' mum. Hermione had gotten her a pair of infinity sign earrings. Emma also received an advanced potions kit from her mum and assorted candies from Harry and Ron.

Emma was munching on a Pumpkin Pastie when her mum walked in holding a small present wrapped in gold paper.

"Emma, this just came for you." She said, her face slightly pale.

Emma took it from her mum and read the To/From tag. She suddenly realized why her mum's face was pale. It was from her father. Emma opened the present with a mixture of hesitance, greed, and impatience. Finally the paper was on the floor and she was pulling the lid off of the box. Emma almost dropped the box when she saw the ring. It looked like a normal ring, but had a large orange jewel in it. The stone setter was in the shape of a sun. Emma looked at her mum before putting it on, it fit perfectly.

Emma saw a note in the bottom of the box and picked it up.

Emma,

Press the stone.

Love,

Dad

Emma did as the note said, pressing the stone. Instantly the ring changed into a three foot long bow, and a quiver of arrows appeared on her back. Emma ran her fingers over the intricate designs on the bow and then plucked the string.

"Emma, it's beautiful." Her mum said.

Emma looked up at her mum, smiled, and then knocked an arrow. She aimed at the wall, at a small hole in the plaster, and let the arrow fly.

The point of the arrow ended up right where Emma had wanted it to go. The bow felt right in her hands, like she'd found something she didn't know was missing.

"Thanks, dad." Emma whispered to herself, knowing that somewhere, somehow, he'd heard her.

"Emma, no archery in the house." Her mum said sternly, but there was a smile on her face.

Emma looked for a secret button to change the bow back to ring form. She found the button hidden in one of the designs and pressed it. Instantly the ring was back on her finger, right where she'd left it. Emma smiled, it was the best present she'd ever gotten.