163 ~ The Cursed Necklace

Slughorn's party wasn't nearly as fun as he'd made it sound. Emma and Hermione arrived punctually and had a good ten minutes of awkward conversation with their Professor before the others started to show up. Blaise Zabini pointedly ignored Emma, although she tried to catch his eye several times. Besides him, Hermione, and Cormac McLaggen, Emma didn't know anyone else at the party. Slughorn introduced them to Melinda Bobbin, but afterwards they went their separate ways, and Emma found herself standing off to the side for most of the night. Ginny Weasley did eventually show up, and Emma wasn't sure whether she should greet her or not. How did one act around one's ex's new girlfriend? Not that the two girls hadn't been friendly before, but it was a bit awkward between them now.

Finally, Emma was able to corner Blaise at the refreshments table.

"Hi."

To his credit, Blaise didn't seem phased by her sudden appearance. Nor did his expression betray any emotion or recognition. He simply nodded his head in greeting and took a sip of his drink.

"I was wondering if we could talk," she said quietly.

"Go ahead."

Emma could feel her heartbeat pounding in her ears. "I -- Well, you're friends with Draco."

"I am."

She took a deep breath. "Do you know what -- what's going on with him?"

Blaise took another sip of his drink, holding her gaze. "You'll have to be more specific."

A flash of annoyance circled through her. She should've known this conversation would be difficult. And she hated exposing herself like this -- showing her vulnerability. Revealing that she still cared enough to ask about him, when he obviously couldn't even spare her a second glance.

"I know something happened over the summer, Blaise," she said guardedly. "And I know you remember Draco and I were friends, even if you don't understand why. I just want to know what's changed."

Blaise shrugged. "You'd have to ask him."

Emma bit back a groan and said through her teeth: "As if I haven't tried."

"Look, Quinn, I don't know what to tell you. People change, that's life. I think you should move on."

He said it with such nonchalance that Emma's heart sank even further into her stomach. She felt like an idiot. If even Draco's friends were telling her to give up, it must really be over between them. Before it had even really started.

Blinking back the tears that were threatening to well up in her eyes, Emma steeled herself and said in the most dull voice she could muster, "Thanks."

Halfway through October came their first trip of the term to Hogsmeade. Emma had wondered whether these trips would still be allowed, given the increasingly tight security measures around the school, but was pleased to know that they were going ahead; it was always good to get out of the castle grounds for a few hours.

The morning of, Emma and Venus went down to breakfast early and had almost finished by the time the others arrived. Ron spent the first few minutes retelling how his morning had gone. Apparently Harry had used a spell on him that flipped him upside down and hung him from his feet, which had woken him up.

"... and then there was another flash of light and I landed on the bed again!" Ron grinned, helping himself to sausages.

Hermione had not cracked a smile during this anecdote, and now turned an expression of wintry disapproval upon Harry.