138 ~ Valentine's Day

With so much to worry about and so much to do — startling amounts of homework that frequently kept the fifth-years working until past midnight, secret DA sessions and regular training sessions — January seemed to be passing alarmingly fast. Before Emma knew it, February had arrived, bringing with it wetter and warmer weather and the prospect of the second Hogsmeade visit of the year. Now that Emma was single, she didn't have a Valentine's Day date for Hogsmeade, and she didn't really want to third wheel George and Venus, though they'd invited her to come with them. Instead, Emma planned to spend the day in the Arena, training.

On the morning of the fourteenth she dressed in leggings and an orange camp T-shirt, and braided her hair quickly. She grabbed her wand, double checked that her ring and necklace were on her person, and pulled on a jumper over her shirt. Venus was fixing her makeup when Emma pulled on and laced up her Converse.

"You look amazing, V," she told her friend.

Venus grinned. "Thanks, Em. I'm sorry you won't be joining us."

Emma chuckled. "I don't want to intrude on your alone time with George. Gods know you'll be snogging like crazy."

Venus laughed and fastened on a necklace George had given her. Emma noticed that Venus still wore her silver knot ring that symbolized hers and Emma's friendship. Emma had her gold one on, too. She rarely took it off, but she often forgot it was there, as it was almost part of her now.

Emma got to her feet and cracked her neck. "Well, you two lovebirds have fun. I'll be in the Arena if you need me."

Venus waved goodbye, and Emma descended the staircase to the common room. It was virtually empty, save a few younger kids. Most everyone was probably at breakfast or headed to Hogsmeade already. Emma headed down to the Great Hall to grab some food before training.

She ate quickly, just a piece of French toast and a few strawberries. She scanned the Great Hall before she left. Draco wasn't there. Oh well. Maybe he went to Hogsmeade. She shrugged and jogged back up the staircases to the Room of Requirement. It was a workout in itself. She was panting and sweating when she reached the top.

She paced in front of the wall where the Room of Requirement door was hidden. In a few seconds, it appeared, and Emma grasped the handle. She slipped quickly into the room, making sure no one had seen her, and shut the door behind her.

"Took you long enough."

Emma whipped around and was shocked to see Draco Malfoy, lounging on a pile of dummies, reading a book and munching on a green apple. How'd he even know she'd be here?

"You're not in Hogsmeade?" Emma asked him.

Draco shrugged. "Nah. Valentine's Day isn't my scene."

Emma snorted. "Right."

Draco shut his book and sat up. "So, I was hoping to spar today."

"Oh, were you?"

"Yeah, I'm even wearing proper fighting clothes."

Emma took in his outfit. Black sweatpants and a white T-shirt with black tennis shoes that looked like they'd never been worn. She raised her eyebrows.

"Wow."

Draco stood and did a 360 degree spin to show off his clothes. "Impressed?"

"Surprised you own such comfortable clothes," Emma corrected.

He rolled his eyes. "Whatever, can we fight?"

Emma slipped her jumper over her head and tossed it on the floor. "I guess. Let's go barefoot today, so you don't ruin your new tennis shoes."