159 ~ Horace Slughorn

"You have your wand, yes? And your weapons?"

"Yes, Mum."

"Your hairbrush?"

"Yes."

"Toothbrush?"

"Yes."

"Books?"

"Yes."

"Potions supplies?"

"You know, I think I left them all at home."

"Emma."

"I have everything, Mum. Don't worry. I've been packing for school for six years now."

Beatrice Quinn sighed and wrapped her arms around her daughter. "I know, baby. I just can't believe you're leaving me again."

Emma rolled her eyes, but hugged her mother back nonetheless. Beatrice was a strong and independent woman. She worried about Emma, but she didn't need her to live. Besides, she had James now. She really shouldn't be so upset that Emma was going back to school.

"You'll be fine. You've been doing this for years, Mum."

Beatrice smiled widely. "Oh, I know. I'm more worried about you being at school than me being at home alone."

"Why's that?" Emma asked, furrowing her eyebrows in confusion.

"Well, because of all the new safety measures now that everyone's accepted Harry Potter was telling the truth! I'm not entirely sure I trust the school is protected well enough."

Emma rolled her eyes again. "Mum, you're being ridiculous. Out of everyone you know, I am the most capable at defending myself. I'm the last person you should be worried about getting attacked. Besides, Dumbledore wouldn't let us back if he thought the school wasn't safe."

"I suppose that's true..." Beatrice waved a hand through the air like she was tossing something away. "Alright, I'm being overprotective. Now, go get on that train, and I will see you at Christmas, alright?"

"Alright, Mum."

Emma hugged her one last time before lugging her trunk and Shadow's cage onto the train.

She found an empty compartment and claimed a window seat so she could watch the other students boarding. She didn't let herself think that she was really watching for a certain blond-haired, grey-eyed Slytherin she hadn't spoken to in weeks. It was futile, anyway. He wasn't on the platform as far as Emma could see, and she became otherwise occupied with the arrival of Venus, who had barely managed to pry herself away from George before the warning whistle blew. She'd seen the exchange through the window, and thought it was good of him to see Venus off, since they wouldn't be seeing each other for months. Unless, of course, he came to visit on Hogsmeade weekends. Which was highly probable, considering the nature of their relationship and their need to be wrapped up in each other at all times.

"Good snog?" Emma questioned as the blonde threw herself into the seat opposite Emma.

Venus was still glowing with happiness, though she had the decency to look abashed. "Saw that, did you?"

"I think the whole station saw that." Emma pointed out the window at their parents, who were standing together on the platform, talking. "Including your father."

Venus smiled and rolled her eyes jokingly. "Not like I haven't seen him and Beatrice snogging."

Emma laughed as the train started to pull out of the station. She blew a kiss at Beatrice and James, who were smiling back at their daughters and waving. Then the platform was vanishing behind them, and the train was chugging along out of the city. Emma turned back to Venus. "Is it weird for you to think of your dad getting married again?"