17 ~ Chess and Riddles

Ron gave the others positions. Harry took the place of the bishop, Hermione the Queen-side castle, and Emma and Ron took the Knights.

After a while of playing, Emma realized what had to happen. Ron had to sacrifice himself to the queen so that Harry could checkmate the king.

"You see, Emma, Harry," Ron said, "I have to."

"Ron, no!" Harry shouted.

"What?" Hermione asked.

"He's going to sacrifice himself!" Emma shouted.

"No, you can't! There must be another way!" Hermione shouted.

"No, Hermione. Ron has to let the queen take him so Harry can checkmate the king." Emma said.

Hermione didn't respond, so Ron moved forward. He mumbled 'check' and slowly, the queen moved towards him.

Emma, Harry, and Hermione watched in horror as the queen stabbed Ron's horse and he fell to the ground. Hermione made a move to go to him, but Harry stopped her. Then he moved diagonally a few paces and said 'checkmate'. The sword fell from the king's hands and the game was ended. Hermione rushed to Ron immediately, followed closely by Harry and Emma.

"Come on, we have to keep moving." Emma said.

"Emma's right, Snape could be getting the stone any minute." Harry said.

Hermione nodded and they left Ron on the floor. He was unconscious anyway. The three of them ran through the door on the other side of the room. A stench filled the air and Emma had to pull her robes over her nose to keep from gagging. They entered a corridor with a troll knocked out on the ground. Emma rushed to the next door followed closely by Hermione and Harry.

In the next room, they stepped through the doorway and a fire blazed to life instantly, blocking their way back. The doorway on the other side was blocked by fire as well. There was a table in the center of the room with seven potions and a sheet of paper. Hermione read the writing on the paper aloud.

Danger lies before you, while safety lies behind,

Two of us will help you, whichever you would find,

One among us seven will let you move ahead,

Another will transport the drinker back instead,

Two among our number hold only nettle wine,

Three of us are killers, waiting hidden in line.

Choose, unless you wish to stay here forevermore,

To help you in your choice, we give you these clues four:

First, however slyly the poison tries to hide

You will always find some on nettle wine's left side;

Second, different are those who stand at either end,

But if you would move onward, neither is your friend;

Third, as you see clearly, all are different size,

Neither dwarf nor giant holds death in their insides;

Fourth, the second left and the second on the right

Are twins once you taste them, though different at first sight.

"Perfect," Hermione smiled.

"Yeah, it's just logic -- a riddle." Emma said. The two examined the writing a few more times. Harry stood to the side as if to give them space and to help them focus. Hermione looked at Emma and smiled, they both knew the answer.

Emma reached for the bottle that would lead the drinker onward. She gave it to Harry saying, "You have to go on."

Hermione had the potion that would take the drinker back. She smiled at Harry, "There's only enough for you, so Emma and I will go back. Good luck, Harry." She hugged Harry tightly, then Emma did the same. Harry downed the potion and stepped through the fire. On the other side, he turned back and smiled. Then Emma took the potion from Hermione and drank. The two girls went back into the troll room, then to the chessboard. Ron lay exactly where he'd been before. Thankfully he was breathing. Emma and Hermione carried him between them, he was awfully heavy.

"Emma," Hermione said, "How are we supposed to get out?"

"The brooms from the key room." Emma said. They entered the key room and each grabbed a broom, then one for Ron. Emma poked him very hard in his side and his eyes fluttered open.

"Think you can fly by yourself?" Emma asked.

He nodded and got on the broom. The three of them flew out of the room and passed the Devils Snare. Emma grabbed the harp she'd left there and began to play.

Fluffy fell asleep instantly. Emma backed out of the room with Ron and Hermione. Ron held the cloak in his hands and he threw it over them. Emma still held the harp in her hands as she walked to the owlry with Hermione and Ron.

Hermione began writing a letter to Professor Dumbledore and sent it with Shadow, Emma's owl. Then they went back to the dormitory.