The Last Laugh

Summary:

Damian and Jokers first encounter.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Batman and his newest Robin, Damian Wayne, are out on the streets of Gotham. Rumors have been floating around about an escaped convict from Arkham, but no names are mentioned in the rumors.

Batman and Robin heard a faint laugh coming from the darkness of an alleyway. When they got down from the top of a rooftop, Batman pushed Robin behind him.

 "Now, which number is this little bird, is he number seven or number eight?"

"Robin, be careful. The Joker is not someone you should mess with." Batman said as his mind flooded with how the other Robins got traumatized by the Joker. How Batgirl, a.k.a Oracle, even got her fair share of the Joker.

Robin peered around Batman and looked the Joker up and down before he walked up to Batman's side.  

"Oh, come on Batman. I thought we were gonna fight a real villain." Robin said to Batman.

"huh?" The Joker cocked his head to the side.

"Come on, let's go fight Scarecrow or The Riddler! Oh, can we go fight The Riddler, please?" Robin was tugging on Batman's cape like a child wanting to go into a toy store. 

"Excuse me kid, I am as real as they get. I bring terror wherever I go!" The Joker grinned and showed all his teeth in the most devilish way he could. Like he was proud that he was thought of as the most feared villain.

Robin stared at him, "is that it?" he asked coldly. 

"What?"

"Is that all you do? I mean, to me, looks like there's nothing to fear."

"I'd watch your mouth before I-"

Robin started chuckling and was trying, barely, to cover his smile.

"I'm sorry, but am I to believe that I'm being threatened by a guy who looks like he belongs in a 25 cent circus?"

"This outfit cost me more than your liver on the black market."

"With that outfit, the Gotham police aren't the only ones looking for you. The fashion police is looking too."   

"Hey! I've traumatized every little bird that tags along with Batsy and I can't wait to even imagine what I can do to you."

A spark ignited inside Robin. He was always down to fight. "Bring it. I can take you. Hell, I'd even let you have the first shot. Go on."

"Wait, what is happening?" This was not the turnout Joker had in mind and was absolutely at a lost for words.

"I don't even need these gloves on. I'm the superior Robin!" The Joker just stared as this literal child was as unhinged as he was. Maybe even more.

"Come on, funny man. Let's go."

Joker pulled out a plastic extension hand as Robin lunged at him to hold him back. Robin was trying to swing at him.

With a worried expression, Joker asked Batman, "seriously, where do you find these kids?" 

"This one was actually dropped off to me. If it was a choice, i'd send him back." Batman said with an exhausted dad voice.  

"Well, you can send me back to Arkham because I'm afraid I might get rabies from this one." 

That night, Joker went back to Arkham, for the first time voluntarily. When Jason heard this story, he almost died (again) laughing and gave Damian a high five.