Rui x Overconfident Male Reader

[Word count - 1,328]

Requested by FINKTV

Your POV

Hi there, my name is (Y/N) (L/N), and I have two best friends growing up. Shirokane Rinko and Yashio Rui. I am close with both of them, but it is Rui that I am close with the most.

Rui and I are the same age, and while we are close with each other, we are complete opposites, and it shows too. Rui is calm, cool and collected. As for me... I am very hyperactive, and I always let my overconfidence get the better of me.

Being overconfident is my biggest flaw as a human. There have been times where my overconfidence would get the better of me, but there was a time that I was able to do something right, and not get screwed over by it. All of this to prove Rui wrong, mind you. 

This is where our story begins...
_____________________________________________

Evening...

Location - Station Entrance

It all started on a cold evening on a weekday. Rui and I were walking home together after watching Roselia perform on stage. Normally Rinko would join us on our walk, but she said she wanted to celebrate the success of her show with her band members, and we respect her for that.

"Rinko-san did an awesome job, huh?" I said to Rui.

"Yeah. Her keyboard skills are impressive as ever." Rui said.

"Yeah, and seeing her on stage makes me want to perform in front of everyone!" I said as I start to feel my confidence rising.

"I wouldn't recommend it."

"Huh? Why not?" I asked.

"Do you have any idea how long it takes to prepare a live performance? It is a lot of work, and if you're not careful, it could backfire on you." Rui explained.

Given that Rui is in a band herself, she clearly knows what she's talking about. However, I wasn't going to let that stop me from performing in front of so many people.

"That's nothing. I can still put on the performance even with all the hard work." I said. 

"You're kidding, right?" Rui asked in disbelief. She really does not believe in me...

"No, I am not kidding." I said. "Just you wait and see, Rui! I'm going to do a live performance soon, and it is going to be a success!" 

"I can see that your overconfidence is showing and let me say it now before you fall flat on your face: you are going to screw this up." Rui said being as cold as she always is. 

"Then come watch me perform, and I'll prove you wrong!" I said as I was determined to prove one of my childhood friends wrong. 

"Very well, and if you fail, don't come crying to me. Deal?"

"Deal!" 
_____________________________________________

A few months later...

Location - Live House CiRCLE, Music Hall

Before I could even take the stage, I had to pick an instrument to take with me to go on stage. I guess I could be a vocalist with no instrument like Yukina and Mashiro, but I think it'll be cool if I had one anyway. I already know which instrument I wanted to: the guitar. Not sure what it is, but when I saw it on display, it was calling out to me. I knew I had to get it for myself, and I did with the amount of money I had stored away. 

Next, I began to practice with it in my room, then made a reservation to perform at CiRCLE a few months for now. It should give me enough time to learn how to play the guitar. It wasn't easy, as expected, but I am confident that I can get the hang of it.

After waiting for months, it was time for me to perform live. I looked out in the crowd to see who was there. Aside from Roselia and Morfonica, there were a few other people who came out to see me perform. It's not a big audience, but hey, you take what you can get, right?

Once it was time to perform, I walked over to the stage and stood in front of the mic. I can feel my confidence kicking in, and I couldn't wait to get started.

"Hello, CiRCLE! Thank you so much for coming out tonight!"

Some of them started clapping.

"This is my first time performing on stage, and I wasn't sure how it was going to work out, but I am confident to say that I am pleased that everything worked out."

"Without further ado, I hope you enjoy the show."

I said everything I needed to say, and so, I played my guitar, and I started singing my song.
_____________________________________________

The Resistance - Skillet

I am a nation, I am a million faces
Formed together, made for elevation
I am a soldier, I won't surrender
Faith is like a fire that never burns to embers
(Who's gonna stand up, who's gonna fight?)
The voice of the unheard
(Who's gonna break these chains and lies?)
Love is the answer
I gotta speak it, believe it, that's how I feel inside
(I) I (I), can't, can't sit here quiet
You can take my heart, you can take my breath
When you pry it from my cold, dead chest
This is how we rise up
Heavy as a hurricane, louder than a freight train
This is how we rise up
Heart is beating faster, feels like thunder
Magic, static, call me a fanatic
It's our world, they can never have it
This is how we rise up
It's our resistance, you can't resist us
are you listening?
Sleeping in the shadows, could be making history
(Walk) through the fire, (walk) on the water
Used to be a slave, but now you are a conqueror
They can take my heart, they can take my breath
When they pry it from my cold, dead chest
This is how we rise up
Heavy as a hurricane, louder than a freight train
This is how we rise up
Heart is beating faster, feels like thunder
Magic, static, call me a fanatic
It's our world, they can never have it
This is how we rise up
It's our resistance, you can't resist us
Up, up, up, up, up
We're rising up, up, up, up, up
The voice of the unheard
Rising up, up, up, up, up
We're rising up, up, up, up, up
Love is the answer
Rising up, up, up, up, up
We're rising up, up, up, up, up
Love is the answer
This is how we rise up
It's our resistance, you can't resist us
This is how we rise up
Heavy as a hurricane, louder than a freight train
This is how we rise up
Heart is beating faster, feels like thunder
Magic, static, call me a fanatic
It's our world, they can never have it
This is how we rise up
It's our resistance, you can't resist us
_____________________________________________

After the show...

Location - Live House CiRCLE, Lobby

The show came to an end, and I see people clapping for me. I think I did well, but I want to hear what Rui thinks, so I went to go see her.

"Hi Rui, thanks for coming to see me."

"It's no problem." She said.

"Now tell me, what did you think of my first solo performance?" I asked.

"Well, not bad for your first time on stage. Were you nervous at all?" She asked.

"Not at all. I stayed true to my confident-self." I said.

"I see."

Rui gave me a small smile.

"I guess you've proven me wrong then." She said.

I let out a smile of my own as she said that. It was all I needed to hear.

The end

A/N: Thank you so much for reading this one-shot. I hope you guys liked it and I'll see you in the next one. :)

Shout-out to KCTalaid2002 for becoming a recent follower.