Fantasy AU (B&R)

Going through the whole timeline on how they ended up here would take far too long so we'll just use one of those handy time skips and say this is like two years after they recruited Elaine as the Royal Healer :3

The redhead panted, the exhaustion of training since dawn was finally setting in. Pieces of the destroyed training dummies littered the ground, singed and burning. He sheathed his sword before walking around the training grounds to pick up his discarded armour.

He was currently donning the MOTR coat. It was early autumn and the leaves were just starting to turn colour. A pleasant breeze passed by, cooling the young man down. He took a deep breath, enjoying the nice weather.

Once he reached the storage room he put away his armour and training supplies before heading toward the showers.

"Blyke! Wait up!" He turned to the voice addressing him and smiled. "Hey Rem," said girl was running to catch up to him. She huffed once she reached him, her hands coming up to fix her hair that got blown by the wind. She was also wearing her Mage coat, he noticed that she also had her weapon on her.

He quirked a brow, Remi wasn't usually one to wake up this early. She grinned, "up for a round before you hit the showers?" He smiled, excited before walking back towards the training grounds. He slowed his pace so Remi could keep up, him being a head taller than her now.

"What made you get up so early? You usually get up much later to train, it's 7:42. Usually, you'll be here around 8:30-9." She looked at him for a moment before responding with a melancholy smile, "I'm going to go visit my brother today."

Blyke froze for a second before gathering himself quickly, "ah, your hometown is pretty far. I'm guessing you want to make it before nightfall." She nodded but something was off. It was as if she was withholding information.

Sensing this Remi elaborated, "There's this mage in town that is allowing a few minutes for loved ones to speak with the dead. My mom wrote to me, explaining the woman's ability. Basically, every minute she allows the spirit to be in the living world equals a day taken off her life span. She's a very honourable woman, sacrificing her lifespan for other people to get closure. My mom wants to speak to Rei, one last time."

He nodded, understanding. From what Remi told him, the last time she ever spoke with her brother was 3 weeks before he died. Rei was making plans to use some of his vacation time to visit her before things got hectic at the Mage Academy. That was 3 years ago.

"I'm sure he'd be proud of you and how strong you've become. Isen is all macho but you could beat him any day. Probably cause he's shit at caring about training." Blyke snorted, Isen really was an oddball but he was his best friend, as was Remi.

She laughed, appreciating what he was doing for her. Then, she grinned, challenging him.

"Why don't we see how much stronger I've gotten, huh?"

Blyke chuckled, getting into position, and Remi did the same. She sent him a smile, one filled with determination. "No weapons?" She asked, already undoing her sword and belt, "no weapons."

With both their swords laying on the ground they eyed each other. In well, both senses. The pair happened to spar quite normally because a) it helped them improve, and they both pushed each other. And b) it gave them the excuse to literally eye each other with the excuse they were being cautious.

Win-win situation.

As Elaine walked down the path towards the royal library she stopped and gazed outside. Where the training grounds were. It was normal for her to see at least one or two people down there, training in the morning but this was interesting.