03. family dinners and dilemas

HER POV

       We made our way the main living room. The maids had already prepared some fresh hibiscus ice tea and a martini for Caterina.

"I will make this short and simple," Alessandra said as she took a seat on the single-seater couch. "We need your help Samantha."

"My help?" I raised an eyebrow.

"I didn't help my brother find you just because I care for him," Alessandra replied. "Even though I hate to admit it, we have been losing some of our Italian territory and many of the Villanueva alliances are dwindling by the second."

"And you need my help in producing future heirs as Dante's wife," I said coldly.

Alessandra was not shaken by demeanor and simply nodded her head.

"My father left Dante as his heir and leader of the Villanueva empire," Alessandra replied. I can tell she was scornful of her late father's decision by the tiny wrinkle forming between her eyebrows. "So, you do not really have a choice. Now, fix whatever issues you have with my brother and be ready to become the new lady of Villanueva."

Alessandra walked out of the room without letting me dispute the matter. I turned to Caterina with a 'is she serious' look to which she shrugged.

Being the youngest of the three she also had little say in the matter.

       "Caterina would you please give us a moment?" Dante asked his sister who did not waste no time to scurry out of the room with her martini.

I slipped off the red beret and threw it onto the nearby couch with a frown. All the things I had been running from, all the things I had been avoiding were back and there was nothing I could do.

       "The Villanuevas always have the last say," I scoffed as I popped myself onto the sofa.

       "Cara mia, you used to want to be a part of this family," Dante defended as he kneeled down beside me and held my hands in between his. "Tell me, please. What happened that made you leave me?"

       I raised an eyebrow with disbelief. He really was going to keep pretending.

       "I saw the real monster inside," I replied with a cold voice, letting my hands slip out of his grip.

       "You knew what my last name meant. The type power that came with it," Dante argued. "Yet you still decided to love me then. To stay."

       "Back then I did not know that only people protected by said power were the ones who had the Villanueva blood flowing through them," I seethed.

Dante walked over to me and cupped my face in his hands. His rough fingers glided over my cheek.

"You are protected as well," Dante assured. "Please Samantha, tell me. Why do you hate me so much now?"

I stared at Dante dead in the eye with nothing but coldness and wrath in my eyes.

       "Because you are a murderer," I spit out before pushing past him and leaving the room.

***

I looked at myself in the mirror. I was back to being a Villanueva and dressing like them.

       The family stylist had chosen a light blue satin dress that reached my ankles. A pearl necklace was laced around my neck and matching light blue embroidered heels were on my feet.