09. what are best-friends for

HER POV

"Dante," was the only word that left my mouth.

He smiled proudly as we continued to sway to music. He had gotten me where he wanted, entranced by his smooth charm.

"Yes, Bella?" He asked in his low, husky voice. His eyes showed a determination that I have never seen before. I knew what it meant. He was ready to kneel down at my feet and give me anything I wanted.

I hit my forehead vigorously as I cringed at the events from a couple of nights ago. I was grateful that Dante had been called by his sister the next day to meet her in France for an emergency. It gave me time to self-scold myself.

       A light knock at the door pulled me out of my trance. I flattened out my black slacks and walked over to the double-doors.

       "Good morning, sœur (sister)," Andrea greeted me with a bright smile.

"Andrea what are you doing here?" I asked as I allowed my little sister to walk into my room.

"She insisted on seeing you," I turned to the familiar male voice with excitement.

"Derek!" I exclaimed as I jumped into the arms of my best-friend.

"Wow," Andrea clutched her heart dramatically. "He gets an excited hug and all I get is an, 'Andrea what are you doing here'."

     "I am happy to see you, too," I walked over to my sister and pulled her into a hug as I placed a kiss on the top of her head.

       I looked over at Derek. I have not seen him since the incident at Mrs Zamora's shop. He looked different. His brown locks were longer and were brushed back without care. He sported a short, prickly stubble and his face looked tired.

       Realization dawned on me. If Derek was back then that meant Dante was also back seeing that he was now Dante's right-hand soldier.

       "Don't worry, he is busy talking with his sisters," Derek assured as if reading my mind.

       "You have a really big room," Andrea let herself fall onto the bed. "Would you mind if I stayed with you here?"

She looked up at me with her hazel green eyes, puckering her lips slightly. I raised an eyebrow confused by her sudden question. Then it dawned on me.

"What you'd get suspended for this time?" I asked with my arms crossed over my chest.

       Andrea looked down at the white duvet cover, drawing invisible circles over them. Her curly blonde locks, the exact same shade as our Mother's, fell over her face to cover the guilt.

       "I may or may not have ripped all of Anastasia's clothes," Andrea confessed in a low tone.

       "You did what?!"

       "I guess destroying people's clothes is something that runs in the family," Derek commented with an amused smile. I glared at him and his smile faded.

"Have you told papà?" I asked and Andrea looked away again.

"I may or may not have left St. Louis before papa et maman (dad and mom) arrived," Andrea whispered.

       I pinched the bridge of my nose. Andrea had a habit of acting recklessly at her boarding school and every time she found herself in trouble she would run to me—at least before I ran away to New York.