23. the fall of the mighty king

DANTE'S POV

       Never had I felt the pain that Samantha had just inflicted, but I could not blame her. I was dumb for letting myself fall for the temptation knowing well she was not in the right state of mind.

I ran a hand through my hair in frustration as I leaned onto the wall. I was mad at myself for being so stupid.

       "Sir, there you are!" Tomas rushed over to me with a happy, almost proud grin on his lips.

       "What do you want?" I asked boringly.

       Tomas pulled out a cellphone from his pocket. It was one of those old burner phones. He handed it to me and I looked at the device confused.

       "One of the maids was cleaning out Mariana's room and found this phone," Tomas said. "She received a text from Santos demanding to meet up and confirm the death of Sam's baby."

       I looked down at the phone and searched through the messages until I found one with the ID labelled as 'S'.

       Meet at the Medici Park. I want to know that the job was done and then you can have your son.
- S

        I looked at Tomas sharing in on his happiness. We had him right where we wanted and he was to pay for what he put Samantha through.

       "Gather our best soldiers and have some snipers placed on the nearby buildings," I instructed. "We are killing this bastardo (bastard) tonight."

       "Yes sir," he nodded obediently before walking down the hall to get everything ready.

       I buttoned up my dress shirt and adjusted the cuff-links. I ran my finger over the silver emblem on them. It was a letter 'V' with an arrow through it.

       "It is time to get payback," I smirked amusingly.

       I walked down the stairs and found my two sisters awakened by the commotion. Caterina had a silk gown that reached to her ankles and a fancy feathery robe over it.

       "Tell me that it is true brother," Alessandra begged as she approached. She was still in her black body-con dress and red-bottom heels.

       I nodded. "We've got him now."

       "Do you want us to come with you?" Caterina asked and I shook my head.

       "Please stay with Sam," I replied. "I need to know that she will be in good hands while I am gone."

       "Have her boy look after her," Alessandra sassed as Derek stepped into the room.

       "Derek will be coming with me," I said in a low tone, asserting my leadership. Alessandra rolled her eyes and sighed in defeat.

       "You are just like our father," she mumbled as she sunk into her seat.

       Although, I knew she did not mean it, her words still stung. Our father was not a man someone would want to become. He was cruel and ruthless. I hated him.

       "Stai al sicuro mio caro fratello (Be safe my dear brother)," Caterina said as she gave me a hug.

       I gently patted her back before we pulled away. She offered me one last smile and then I followed Tomas and the rest of my men out the door.

***

       We all held our guns close to us as we exited the vehicles. We scanned the dark area as we searched for our target.