Chapter 3: Moving on

"Hey, hon." Hondo said as he swung open the bedroom door. He was surprised at the silence that greeted him, maybe she hadn't heard him. "Hey baby!" he repeated

Nichelle had excused herself from breakfast, claiming she had stomach pain. She had gone straight to bed, wrapped herself tight and cried silently. When she heard Hondo's footsteps, she quickly wiped her tears, closed her eyes and turned her body opposite to the door.

"Ma told me you said you wasn't feeling ok. You alright, baby?" he asked tenderly as he stood at the foot of the bed. Hondo frowned as he again did not receive any vocal answer. He tiptoed around the bed, thinking she might've fallen asleep, which could be the reason why she wouldn't answer him. He was surprised to find her eyes closed shut, breathing calmly.

That's strange! She's usually the first one up...plus her folks told me the doc said she was doing really good in her rehab. So good they lowered her meds! Maybe... she's just tired. I better get to work.

"Baby, sleep tight!" he whispered as he went to her and planted a soft kiss on her forehead. He grabbed his jacket, badge and weapon and headed out the door.

Her sobbing continued...

80 miles away...

"Buenos días, (Good morning) Jim!" greeted Anita, Chris' little cousin.

"Hey, Anita.  'Booeenus deehas'!" Street said trying hard to imitate her

The little girl twisted in laughter as Jim lifted her up to his chest and gave he a big bear hug. She loved it every time he tried speaking Spanish. Chris said it was the one thing that would immediately make her burst into pure laughter, pavera as Rubio called it. He didn't mind at all since he knew his Spanish was horrendous. His own kid reminded him every single day! Matter of fact, it was his go to when he wanted to embarrass the teen!

"Hey, Jim!" greeted Aunt Helena, as she came in from the hall. "Good morning, how are you?"

Jim placed the girl down, and immediately greeted Helena. The little girl gave him a kiss on the cheek and hopped to the living room, where Peppa Pig was singing. Helena offered coffee and he gladly accepted. He had left home in a rush after missing his first alarm, the one that he uses to drag Rubio out of bed and get him started. That was usually followed by a small 10-15 minute nap and then the other alarm to speed up the process so he can get him to school on time. Rubio's already been scolded once for a 3 minute delay because of skipping the alarm, so...Street couldn't ignore it anymore.

"So...how is mi rubito?"(my little blonde) asked the old lady sitting across from him in the small kitchen table

"Rubito is in school, just dropped him off. I got a meeting there today in a few hours. I'm hoping to get good news." he said sipping slowly

"I'm sure he's doing fine in school. He is very smart."

"Yeah...some times too smart!" he finished with a smirk

"You know how boys are!"

"Now that you say boys, um...Is everybody gone by now, Helena?"

"Sarzo has a meeting in an hour with a new client, so he is in the back listening to the news in his phone."she paused to sip, "Chris downloaded an app for him. Now he enjoys his coffee in the back, listening to the news from home."

She finished her coffee and stood to place the cup in the sink, but was startled when Jim said "Well, can I talk to both of you? Now?"

He sounded so serious she panicked. "¡Qué onda! (Oh my!) Something happened with Chris?" she said cupping her necklace's charm of Our Lady of Guadeloupe in both her hands as she bowed her head in fear.