Chapter 17: Like Chris

Rubio thought for a moment, remembering what Tío Cosa had told him about their mission in the woods. He said she was attacked and apparently her rope had broken, so there was no safe way of coming down.She was more than 38 feet up in the trees, so there was nothing they could do from the ground. Luca said she grabbed hold of the injured officer and then grabbed as many vines as she could. They did break, but as long as she continued to grab more and more, no matter how many broke off, she wouldn't fall.

What would ma do? He asked himself. I got it! If she used the vines to go north and south, I'll use them to go east and west. It'd be the same, right? As long as I grabbed tons of vines, I can maintain balance and secure myself from falling. Nothing could go wrong!

"If she was here" he said to himself, "she would grab vines, pull herself closer to him. Then, get Spencer to grab her by shoulders, while she cut the trap. That way, he won't fall when he is free. Yeah! If she can do it, I can do it too. That's what I'll do."

Rubio planted firmly at the edge of the trunk, still measuring the length and amount of vines he was going to need. He took out both hands and grabbed a handful, then wrapped some of it at his waist. Then, stuck his hands once again and grabbed some more as he stepped away from the trunk. He propelled himself towards the young boy, grabbing more and more vines along the way.

His plan was working! He reached Spencer, who was still non responsive.

"Spencer! Spencer!" he yelled over and over, with no response.

If he was going to help the boy, he needed Spencer to wake up and wrap his arms around his shoulders...but he was still out!

Rubio reached out to him, and tapped his right left softly, trying to get the boy up. He then grabbed him and shook him. Nothing.

"C'mon, Spencer! Wake up!" Rubio pleaded

Nothing. The kid didn't move. Time for Plan B. What the heck is my Plan B?!? he thought as he panicked. Ma! Pops! I don't know what to do.

"Rubio, you okay?"  Matthew called

"Hold on!" Sammy pleaded

"Try to turn him! Maybe that will wake him up." Parker called

"Great idea!" he said.

He took his left hand and grabbed all the vines he had gathered with it and wrapped them tight around his right arm and hand, thus providing somewhat of a balanced support. With his now free hand he leaned toward Spencer and grabbed his shirt. He pulled the shirt upwards, as the boy's body took a more upright position. He did notice the pressure was beginning to tighten up around his right arm!

It took all his strength but he was able to pull Spencer closer to his waist. However, he realized that if he straightened him up completely, then he wouldn't be able to reach the rope or vine that was wrapped around his ankle. The boy's body angle was an awkward one, making it difficult to free him. If Rubio pulled Spencer to his right, his left left would widened farther off to the left!

"GUYS!" Rubio called loudly, "I am goin' to try to liberate him. Be alert if he fall!" Rubio called

"Oh my God!" Parker said as the boys on the ground panicked

With his free hand he grabbed more vines, and wrapped his right hand on them. He took a quick look, but didn't panic when he saw that the vines were leaving marks on his arm. Then, he swung his bag to the front, and retrieved the knife from the front pocket. All of this while hanging on and holding the kid to his legs.

"Huuuhhh?" he heard Spencer say very slowly. The boy was coming out of it, as his eyes bulged out in panic when he realized what was going on. He immediately began screaming!